It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 pm  

One for the women-folk, lol... 
AuthorMessage
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post One for the women-folk, lol...
Eatin like skinny chicks... that was basically the title of an article I found that caught my eye. Rather than trouble you with a link I decided to copy and paste the whole thing right here for you. Aint I just the cats meow??

Credit given where credit is due: Written by Megan McMorris

We all have that one thin friend -- one of those skinny women who's never bullied into submission by the bread basket, and when she says, "I'll just eat one bite," she does just that. Is she for real?

Turns out, research shows that skinny people simply don't think about food the same way as, well, the rest of us. "Thin people have a relaxed relationship with food," explains David L. Katz, M.D., an associate professor adjunct in public health at Yale University. "Those who are overweight, however, tend to be preoccupied by it. They focus on how much or how often they eat, or attach labels like "good" and "bad" to certain foods. As a result, mealtime is always on the brain."

Here, weight-loss experts explore the mysterious minds of the "naturally" slim, and how to eat like skinny women. Learn what they do, what they don't, and how you can act the part.

They choose satisfied over stuffed
On a fullness scale of 1 to 10, skinny women stop eating at a level of 6 or 7, says Jill Fleming, R.D., author of "Thin People Don't Clean Their Plates." The rest of us may keep going to an 8 or 10. Why? It may be because you mistakenly equate the sensation of fullness with satisfaction and feel deprived if you stop short, says Fleming. Or you may just be used to finishing what's in front of you, regardless of whether you really need it.

Copy them: To eat like skinny women, about halfway through your next meal, put your fork down and, using the 1-to-10 scale, rate your level of fullness. Do it again when you have about five bites left. The goal is to increase your awareness of how satisfied you feel during a meal. (Bonus: It also slows down your eating, which allows the sensation of fullness to settle in.)

They realize hunger isn't an emergency
Most of us who struggle with extra pounds tend to view hunger as a condition that needs to be cured -- and fast, says Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., author of the book "The Beck Diet Solution." "If you fear hunger, you might routinely overeat to avoid it," she says. Thin people tolerate it because they know hunger pangs always come and go, buying them some time.

Copy them: Pick a busy day to purposely delay lunch by an hour or two. Or try skipping an afternoon snack one day. You'll see that you can still function just fine. Then next time you feel those grumbles, you'll hold off before making a beeline for the fridge.

They don't use food to cure the blues
It's not that skinny women are immune to emotional eating, says Kara Gallagher, Ph.D., a weight-loss expert based in Louisville, Kentucky. But they tend to recognize when they're doing it and stop.

Copy them: Add the word "halt" to your vocabulary, says Gallagher. More than just a command (as in stop eating that entire sleeve of cookies), it's an acronym that stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired -- the four most common triggers for emotional eating.

If you're truly hungry, eat a balanced snack, such as a handful of nuts, to tide you over until your next meal. But if you're angry, lonely, or tired, seek an alternative, calorie-free solution to your emotional need. Blow off steam by going for a run or just jumping around - the heartbeat boost will help dissipate your anger. Lonely? Call a friend, e-mail your kid, or walk to the park or mall. Being around others will make you feel more connected to your community (even if you don't bump into anyone you know). If you're tired, for heaven's sake, sleep!

They eat more fruit
Skinny women, on average, have one more serving of fruit and eat more fiber and less fat per day than overweight people, reports a 2006 study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

Copy them: Start tinkering. To eat like skinny women, examine your diet for ways to add whole fruits (not juices) to your meals and snacks. Aim for two or three servings per day. Sprinkle berries in your cereal or on your yogurt. Add sliced pears to your turkey sandwich, or bake an apple for dessert. Keep a bowl of fruit on your kitchen table or desk to motivate you to think fruit first, vending machine never.

They're creatures of habit
Any dietitian will tell you that a varied diet is good -- but too much variety can backfire, says Katz, author of "The Flavor Point Diet." Studies have shown that too many tastes and textures encourage you to overeat, he explains. "Thin people have what I call a food groove -- the majority of their meals consist of well-planned staples," says Beck. "There are a few surprises thrown in, but for the most part their diets are fairly predictable."

Copy them: Try to eat as consistently as possible with your major meals -- have cereal for breakfast, a salad at lunch, and so forth. It's OK to add grilled chicken to the salad one day and tuna the next, but by sticking to a loosely prescribed meal schedule, you limit the opportunities to overindulge.

They have a self-control gene
Researchers at Tufts University found that the biggest predictor of weight gain among women in their 50s and 60s was their level of disinhibition, or unrestrained behavior. Women with low disinhibition (in other words, a finely tuned sense of restraint) had the lowest body mass index. High disinhibition (i.e., low restraint) was linked to an adult weight gain of as much as 33 pounds.

Copy them: Prepare for moments when your disinhibition is likely to be higher -- such as when you're in a festive atmosphere with a large group of friends. If you're at a party, tell yourself you'll take one of every fourth passed hors d'oeuvre. If you're out at dinner, order an appetizer portion and share dessert. Or if you're stressed -- another low-restraint moment -- make sure you have a source of crunchy snacks (like fruit or carrot sticks) at the ready.

They're movers and shakers
On average, skinny women are on their feet an extra 2 1/2 hours per day -- which can help burn off 33 pounds a year, according to a study from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Copy them: Try a reality check. Studies have shown that people often overestimate how active they really are, says Gallagher. Most people actually spend 16 to 20 hours a day just sitting. Wear a pedometer on an average day, and see how close you get to the recommended 10,000 steps. Your day should combine 30 minutes of structured exercise with a variety of healthy habits, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or mopping the floor with extra vigor.

They sleep -- well
Skinny women snooze two more hours per week compared with overweight people, says a study from Eastern Virginia Medical School. Researchers theorize that a lack of shut-eye is linked to lower levels of appetite-suppressing hormones like leptin and higher levels of the appetite-boosting hormone ghrelin.

Copy them: Break it down: Two extra hours of sleep a week is only 17 more minutes a day -- a lot more manageable, even for the most packed of schedules. Start there and slowly work toward eight hours of snooze time a night -- the right amount for most adults.

Quick Tip: Eat breakfast! Seventy-right percent of successful dieters do it every day, according to the National Weight Control Registry, a database of more than 5,000 people who've lost more than 30 pounds and kept the weight off for at least a year.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:59 am
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

Post Re: One for the women-folk, lol...
Quote:

I am a big time comfort eater! Doesn't help that I am clinically depressed! :cry:

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:10 am
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

F-Bomb wrote:
Quote:

I am a big time comfort eater! Doesn't help that I am clinically depressed! :cry:

I'm not a doctor, nor am I trying to push anyone into doing anything they dont want to. That said, F-Bomb, I struggle with depression as well. Ran the gambit of drugs and finally just said, "screw it". Now jen on the other hand still takes something, Cymbalta I think, and for her it really helps.

Its been proven that exercise causes the release of endorphans. Their sole purpose is to essentially elevate our mood so we can handle the discomfort of exercise. Its a hold over from the days when we had to run away from things to stay alive, lol. A lot of research has gone into ways of combating depression and among the topics currently being studied are exercise combined with high-dose vitamins. When I say high-dose I mean like RIDICULOUSLY high...

F-Bomb, you live in such a beautiful area. Why not start with a simple 10 minute walk - 5 minutes away from the house and 5 minutes back. Try to do it as quickly as you can while still being able to speak. Simply curse at me loudly as you walk. That should suffice as both a measure of your activity level and a deterant against people approaching you, lol.

The human body will do whatever you ask of it to the best of its ability and if it fails you it will try to make up for it by growing more fit. Its the single most loyal thing you can have and its also the pinnacle of high-tech... think of yourself as a ferarri in need of a tuneup is all :D

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 am
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

It's comforting that I do a couple of those, but not consistantly. Must get off my arse soon.

Is it possible to do too much cardio? What I mean is, if I go to the gym every day to use the rowing machine for 20 minutes and do some weights every other day or something, would that be overdoing it?

Think I'll grab a shower and jog over to karate ;;

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:48 am
Site Admin

Sexypants McGee wrote:
It's comforting that I do a couple of those, but not consistantly. Must get off my arse soon.

Is it possible to do too much cardio? What I mean is, if I go to the gym every day to use the rowing machine for 20 minutes and do some weights every other day or something, would that be overdoing it?

Think I'll grab a shower and jog over to karate ;;

Believe it or not, this is a question I get ALOT. The answer is rather complicated but to break it down, yes, it is possible but its completely goal dependent. If you're out to improve your cardio and dont really need a load of muscle on you then cardio, cardio, cardio. Keep your protein up and rest a good bit and you'll probably keep the majority of the lean mass you have.

If more muscle is the goal, however, then based on your metabolic rate you may need to tweak your cardio. Someone with a slow metabolism who is somewhat endomorphic can get away with a great DEAL of cardio. Someone with a faster metabolism who is rather ectomorphic would want to minimize cardio if building muscle was the goal.

Is this helping at all? :D

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 am
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

I'm an all or nothing guy, if I don't do it every day I probably don't do it :p would it be better to say, brisk walk to the gym (about ten minutes away) and back (another ten minutes, obviously) and only do ten minutes HIIT and ten minutes easy weights?

Maybe hijacking the thread a bit but I'm a complete retard, and I mean that literally, I physically/mentally cannot process fitness information unless someone tells me exactly what I need to do, when it comes to this stuff.

Tis a good opportunity to test your MSN legs lol. Speaking of legs, off to karate in a few minutes. That's all I really want muscle for, stronger legs and a stronger core for karate. I wanna burn off this extra 30lbs weight I'm hauling around before I worry about getting buff. So yeah, if the cardio's not gonna dissolve what strength I have in my legs, which isn't a great deal, I wanna do mostly that, burn fat and boost my stamina. I hate the taste of lucozade :p

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:54 am
The Queen of Poo

Weird.

I'm thin and harsh as hell, but I don't do any of those things. I'll happily eat fat loaded food until I have a neuralgia from overfilling my stomach, and I still outdo Kate Moss in thinness. Lol.

I have a crazy high metabolism though. I can go out in winter in short sleeves and not feel ill effects.

The parts about moving a lot and sleeping a lot do ring true here though. I do sleep well and I'm a bit hyperactive and rarely stay still.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:18 pm
Site Admin

Winnie's a punk wrote:
Weird.

I'm thin and harsh as hell, but I don't do any of those things. I'll happily eat fat loaded food until I have a neuralgia from overfilling my stomach, and I still outdo Kate Moss in thinness. Lol.

I have a crazy high metabolism though. I can go out in winter in short sleeves and not feel ill effects.

The parts about moving a lot and sleeping a lot do ring true here though. I do sleep well and I'm a bit hyperactive and rarely stay still.

Is it wrong that I hate just ever so slightly? :D I used to be able to eat just about anything back when I was your age. Seriously. Today, over two DECADES LATER, lol, its a totally different story saddly enough because I forkin LOVE food!

** I was kidding about the hating you part... its more like a strong dislike mixed with jealousy -which is MUCH better*

:heart: :D

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Profile   Personal Album
The Queen of Poo

Bigmikey wrote:
Winnie's a punk wrote:
Weird.

Is it wrong that I hate just ever so slightly? :D I used to be able to eat just about anything back when I was your age. Seriously. Today, over two DECADES LATER, lol, its a totally different story saddly enough because I forkin LOVE food!

** I was kidding about the hating you part... its more like a strong dislike mixed with jealousy -which is MUCH better*

Hahaha! At least you didn't mask yours in the form of 'Are you ok? You're soooooo thin and harsh looking...Do you eat enough? Do you want to talk to me about anything?' *coils and bares teeth*

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 pm
Site Admin

Winnie's a punk wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

Hahaha! At least you didn't mask yours in the form of 'Are you ok? You're soooooo thin and harsh looking...Do you eat enough? Do you want to talk to me about anything?' *coils and bares teeth*

I hate people like that. Seriously. fork them and their bullshit false concern. You're fine. Tell them to stop deflecting their OWN body image issues on to you and ask THEMSELVES if THEY'RE ok.... damn, that actually made me crabby, lol...

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

Everyone is different. I have a friend who could never put on any fat no matter what she ate! I look at the wrong stuff and it transfers to my hips! Once you are healthy and happy that's all that matters! :D

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

Highscores: 1
Bigmikey wrote:
I hate people like that. Seriously. fork them and their bullshit false concern. You're fine. Tell them to stop deflecting their OWN body image issues on to you and ask THEMSELVES if THEY'RE ok.... damn, that actually made me crabby, lol...

You're not crabby, you're just hungry, let's go grab a pizza, some wings and a few beers! :cheers:

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
i have recently become two hamburgers

"Guns!"

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:28 pm
Profile Visit website
The Queen of Poo

Bigmikey wrote:
Winnie's a punk wrote:

Lol...People like that mess me up.

It's not normal, I know, to have an obsession with wanting to be able to deadlift up a full grown adult and whiplash their head on the floor just to show I can.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 pm
Site Admin

Winnie's a punk wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

It's not normal, I know, to have an obsession with wanting to be able to deadlift up a full grown adult and whiplash their head on the floor just to show I can.

I think I just swooned a little... I need a chair.... and breathe Mikey....

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile   Personal Album
The Queen of Poo

Bigmikey wrote:
Winnie's a punk wrote:

I think I just swooned a little... I need a chair.... and breathe Mikey....

Lol...I think that shit, but the handful of times I ever hit anyone out of self defence, I felt like a rapist for laying a hand on another human, even though I didn't start it.

I just get sick of always being told how weak I am. I mean is it really necessary for people who don't even know me to throw fits in the supermarket because they saw me lift a 12kg box by myself? WTF?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 pm