It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:06 pm  

The paedophile's guide to love and pleasure 
AuthorMessage
Site Admin

Post The paedophile's guide to love and pleasure
Just wrote down some thoughts that came to me about this book. I think it was published in November or something last year and caused MASSIVE outcry. Personally I think it's a wasted opportunity. A paedophile how-to book, while no doubt uncomfortable reading, would supply us with the knowledge of how they operate, and therefore how we can stop them. But people will get caught up and outraged over the face value of a thing.

Anyway, I just wrote this up, thinking of recording it to upload to youtube tomorrow. Let me know what you think. I've posted it here because it's the first proper response to sort of current events. Mikey recently suggested I come up with rants about such things because I'm apparently quite entertaining when I'm angry lol but this is intended to be less entertaining and more thought provoking.

Quote:
A few months ago there was an ebook for sale on Amazon that caused massive uproar. I don't intend to bring more attention to it, as if that was possible, but I think it's important that it's put back up for sale, and I'll explain why. Before I start I want to make it clear that I'm not a paedophile, nor am I defending the author's apparent interest in children (though the author has gone on record saying he only has sex with consenting adults, which makes me wonder from what point of view the book is written, perhaps it's intended as what I'm about to suggest.) I'm just looking at this issue from another angle.

The book was entitled The Paedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure. Those who haven't heard about it before may be sickened by this idea, but bear with me, it stands to help us out a lot. The idea of the book is, as the title would suggest, to serve as a guide for paedophiles. I've only read the news stories about it, but apparently it contains information for paedophiles on how to get their fix, as it were, without actually breaking the law. Presumably this means tips on how to look without needing to touch. Literally and figuratively.

I understand why people were outraged. This book contains instructions for how to be what most people consider one of the lowest forms of life, second only to child killers. And I agree, it does. But here's the alternative angle on it: If you read this book, you will know how paedophiles function. You'll thus know how to stop them.

The most common argument I've read is that reading about it will be enough to tip those who were merely thinking about it into action. I saw one blog entry recently whose attitude was understandable but I thought very narrow, that asked (roughly paraphrased from memory and not exact phrasing), "What's next? A rapist's guide to rape? A murderer's guide to murder? Kidnap and abduction 101?"

Thing is, there are lots of people who read about serial killers and the like, myself included, because it interests them. It's an unusual way of thinking very different to what we regular folk are used to. Even my girlfriend, who for the record is three months older than me, is interested by it. So to me the argument that reading this book will make paedophiles out of people is bunk. If you watch murder mysteries on TV they tell you the clues and stuff that lead to criminals' captures. It could be argued that these shows give would be murderers the pointers they need to cover their tracks and encourage them to stop merely considering killing their neighbour's kid with the drumkit who wakes up at 6am to practise, and go ahead and do it.

One of my hobbies is martial arts. To be able to defend oneself, you need to understand violence, and to understand violence you need to read case studies and police statements and the like to see where the criminal is coming from. I've read statements from rapists and murderers, armed muggers, assaulters. I've always found their behaviour abhorrant and it's never appealed to me even in the slightest. Because I'm a partially functional adult, and some of us have this thing in our heads that filter out these ideas. Some of us can actually think "Woah, now, killing people is a bad idea, it's not a good thing! You should totally NOT do that!" I can't help but think these people who ban such books and advocate doing so don't trust their own filter system. "Thou doth protest too much."

so to backtrack a little, I think it's vital that this book be put back on the market for sale. There are many other books on the subject, and they've not been banned, so why has this one? This is something of an informal appeal for people to open their minds, brace themselves, and face the truth that this terrible stuff is out there, but it IS possible to use it for good. We can all learn from it. It'll be a painful read, perhaps even harrowing, there's no denying that. But growth is always painful, and if we can learn more about it, we can be the wiser for it, and we can take more precautions to prevent it happening. And more importantly, not sweeping precautions like not allowing filming in parks or sports centres, but specific ones. I can't offer an example because I've not read the book and don't know how paedophiles will strike. I wish I did. Don't you?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm
Global Moderator

Highscores: 1
Post Re: The paedophile's guide to love and pleasure
Great review Hat, and I agree with what you've said.
As you stated, being a martial artist, you're taught the best way to defeat an enemy is to understand the enemy, how they think, what their motivations are. And from what you've said that's exactly what this book is offering. Is it going to turn our stomachs? Absolutely! But in doing so it's also going to educate us and prepare us for the evil that does exist out there. Too often we have our heads in the sand, trying to pretend that the evils of the world can never touch us. Unforunate truth is, that's just not true.

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
i have recently become two hamburgers

"Guns!"

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:21 am
Profile Visit website
Global Moderator

Post Re: The paedophile's guide to love and pleasure
It is a very good idea! Just by ignoring this book, that doesn't mean this stuff isn't happening every single day! It is going to go on regardless! Get to know you enemy! Well done Hat! A good review on a difficult subject!

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 am
Profile   Personal Album