It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 pm  

motivation? 
AuthorMessage
Minister of Propaganda

Post motivation?
ok, here's the deal. i recently fell back HARD into my old patterns of massive depression. i know how to break the cycle, i've done it before, and am actually on the process of breaking it right now, simply by writing this (writing always helps. heartily recommended). i have successfully willed myself back to a rational state after this lapse (which i suspect was due to reducing my intake of bananas, which i was using to control my dopamine and serotonin levels), and i am going to stop whining and fricking dominate myself even if it takes me until the day i die. baby steps, though, of course.

depression leads to lack of motivation. it's pretty much the first thing that goes, actually, creating lethargy, and mine is always depleted by an unhealthy does of nihilism. that last part is not going to change, but i have effective methods of dealing with it. however, that still leaves a huge gap in my ability to decide to do things, hence my making this thread.

i am not going to go into full detail into the way my thought patterns go, and why, even though i have the data well organized, since all of my past attempts to do so have led to incessant whining and self-pity, and have cost me very dearly. so let's (finally) get to the point: i require suggestions on how to fix this motivational deficiency.

as a pre-emptive word of warning: do not be offended if i initially disregard or refute a lot of suggestions. it's a habit of mine stemming from a combination of negativity and overanalyzing. just please don't get angry because i don't immediately adopt your solution to magically fix my life and live happily ever after, k? ;)

oh, and one more thing: civilized discussion, please. abuse will be returned with interest.

looking forwards to seeing what everyone who chooses to post has to say.

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:22 am
Profile YIM
Global Moderator

Post Re: motivation?
Are you on any kind of medication for depression?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:52 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

nope.

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:53 am
Profile YIM
Global Moderator

Depending on how bad your depression is, if it gets really bad, I would consider a bit of medical help or counselling, if good diet and exercise is not sorting it. I know some people hate the idea of medication, but people really do benefit from even a small dose and it is not a bad thing if you really need them.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

diet is helping, and in fact i suspect this latest lapse is due to an immediately anteceding lapse in it, but i'd rather address the root problems first. counselling or meds are on my list, but not at the top (got my reasons). cheers!

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:16 pm
Profile YIM

Had a few sessions with a counsellor and I gotta be honest; it helped a LOT. Went a long way to sorting out over 20 years of rage, frustration and hatred.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:19 pm

I agree with Hatch, counselling helped me a lot, and I've been urging Dan to get into it. I know it can seem daunting, and talking about it does take time, but definately worth investing your time in.

Maybe each day, write yourself a small list of things to acccomplish that day, it will build your confidence in your ability to get things done, and give you a reminder that no matter how much you ignore things, life is going on around you without you so get on it!!! As you tick off all those things, take a bit of time to do something you enjoy as a hobby (say half an hour or something) and then get onto the next thing on the list... Hopefully that will allow you to get a sense of routine back and a sense of 'time' in a way, because i know with depression comes the tendancy to get distracted and forget things etc.

Do things that you can be proud of, that people will notice, so that you get that sense of self worth back as well, do something for those around you so they will be grateful and thank you and make you feel like you belong :-)

My suggestions may seem obvious or stupid, forgive me, I suffer with depressive states, but i think having a work routine helps make it easier for me to suck myself out of it, or well, repress it!!!

Good luck! :)

It is no measure of good health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:52 pm
Minister of Propaganda

very true, though. list idea sounds good. i'd probably do it week-long though, simply because i might not even get to the "writing the list" part every single day :p

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:59 pm
Profile YIM

Thats understandable, I usually write one for his sexiness him self (thats Dan btw!), maybe your Dad could write one for you of things at least that need doing around the house? it might get you started :)

hell, I'll write you a list if you want! mwuhahaha! Fly to wales, clean my house (maidds outfit included!!!), look after cute kitties, etc etc :-P

It is no measure of good health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:14 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
She might get salty at me for throwing her business out there but my Jen is on Cymbalta and when she takes it as she's supposed to she's a different person. Makes all the difference in the WORLD!

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
She might get salty at me for throwing her business out there but my Jen is on Cymbalta and when she takes it as she's supposed to she's a different person. Makes all the difference in the WORLD!

I have an ex I'm still on good terms with who used to suffer from depression. She also has a good lay-persons understanding of how depression is treated. She's told me that in particularly bad cases you medicate as an immediate priority and get the counselling in as a secondary.

This doesn't sound similar to FoD's problem, which seems a good deal milder (fortunately), but it does highlight how much more important than anything else treating the biological side of it is.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:17 pm
Site Admin

I think George Carlin had a good point when he said "you show me someone staying at home jerking off eating cheese potato chips and watching Tv, and I'll show you somebody not causing any forkin' trouble." Dylan Moran also suggested the world's motivated are destroying themselves, playing football for England, acting 26 hour days, etc.

Carlin also decried self help books, saying if you were motivated enough to go to the store for the book, you're motivated to go to work. This leads to my actual proper hopefully practical answer, which hopefully won't lose its relevance because the person suggesting it struggles to make it work for himself.

Motivation. Either you wanna do something or you don't. I think the key is to remember WHY you wanna do things. This is why I don't stick at martial arts, I get bored with the repetition and because I don't know exactly WHY I wanna be good at martial arts, I struggle to push through the boredom. Jen will tell you I'm obsessed with lists, but they help me feel more in control of my time, and help me remember what I have to do. It feels good to cross off goals. What I would add though is to make a list of things during rare moments of feeling good and motivated and energetic, then separate the list into groups of stuff you can do together. For example, when I clean the living room, I polish the table, sort the litter tray, feed the cats, and hoover. So first I'll polish the table, knocking any bits of lint or crumbs onto the floor. Then I'll take the litter tray and food dish to the kitchen, and hoover through to pick up the litter flakes and bits of food. Then sort the food out, put that back, then sort the litter tray out and put it back.

The thing that groups them, besides that they're all in the living room, is that I can link them together, each leads into the other thing, so I can keep the momentum going. If I wanted to do the kitchen as well and break the link, I might get distracted doing other things, and then neither room is complete.

It's always nice to reward yourself for crossing things off. If your list is 20 things long, after five treat yourself to a coffee break. After ten have another break. For me when I finish the list, I'll spend an hour on the xbox.

Some people are motivated by money. If this is you, try making a bet with your family or something that you'll do a given thing. Or if not them, make a bet with yourself where if you fail you put $10 into a box, which then goes toward rewarding yourself for when you get more sorted.

Important thing when lacking motivation is to get moving. Doesn't matter what you do, just get moving. You can build momentum from there. If you don't feel like cleaning the house, or going for a run, or whatever, just stand up. From there you can walk to the bathroom, once there you can brush your teeth. I find that tends to make me a touch more alert. Especially if you're really anal and want to clean every speck of your teeth. If you don't wanna run, just step outside. Walk around the block. Then walk a bit faster. If you wanna go in then, fine, at least you're moving. You'll feel better for that.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am
Global Moderator

I used to love making lists, then I got depressed and got out of the habit of making them! :shrug:

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am
Profile   Personal Album