It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 pm  

Room 
AuthorMessage
Global Moderator

Post Room
This book is very cleverly written. It reminds me about what Josef Fritzl did to his daughter.

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:18 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Post Re: Room
Sounds highly interesting, will keep an eye out for it. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is the only book I've read told in the language of a small boy, and I found it easier to read but far more haunting as a result.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 am
Global Moderator

Yes, I got the same feeling seeing things though the five year old boys perspective! At the start, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy reading it from a child's recollection, but it was brilliant!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:36 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Ooh, it's £1.99 on the kindle :D Sample sent to Dalton Kindlehoffer as we speak :D

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:55 pm