It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 pm  

ankle mobility 
AuthorMessage
Minister of Propaganda

Post ankle mobility
mine sucks:

i suspect massive weakness on the front side of my lower leg, along with moderate soleus tightness.

and it pisses me the hell off.

thoughts?

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: ankle mobility
looks normal to me

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:35 pm
Minister of Propaganda

it's still immobile enough that i have trouble doing bodyweight squats, and can't do any squat at all with parallel feet :(. increasing my lower back strength has helped with the squatting, but it doesn't do much for my knees locking out during martial arts training, though.... (CURSE YOU, FRONT STANCE, AND ALL YOU HOLD DEAR)

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:57 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Cheeky Monkey wrote:
mine sucks:

i suspect massive weakness on the front side of my lower leg, along with moderate soleus tightness.

and it pisses me the hell off.

thoughts?

I can't see the image. I have that problem with anything off tinypic here at work... :(

The muscles in the front of the calf are the peroneus and EDS.

These can be easily strengthened and the gastrocnemeus can be easily stretched. Try the following...

Toe Lifts
This exercise strengthens your anterior tibialis muscles. Stand on a step with your arches resting on the edge and toes hanging over it. Slowly lower your toes down toward the floor as far as they will go. Then, raise your toes as high as you can. Beginners: two sets of 10 on each leg. Intermediates: two sets of 20 on each leg. Advanced: two sets of 30 on each leg.

Calf Stretch
Take one big step forward, and bend the knee of the front leg while keeping the rear foot flat on the floor and pressing the heel down. Clasp your hands together, and stretch your arms out straight overhead, covering your ears with your arms. Slowly lean forward making sure to pull in your abdominals, until you feel a stretch in the Achilles of the straight leg. Hold for 10 to 20 seconds, then switch legs and repeat.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

cheers mate.

attached version of the pic, this being the maximum angle i can actively dorsiflex to; toes are also raised. they don't rise much :( (which sucks massive balls, as i love front kicks):

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

FOD, do you ever get cramps along the bottom of your foot? I had a client once who had roughly the same degree of joint immobility but oddly enough it was the plantar fascia was SUPER tight. We began stretching his toes while rubbing the soles of the feet. Hurt like hell he said, lol but after about 3 or 4 weeks he could bring his toes back significantly further and with that added flexibility we were able to add some extra calf stretching - which came much more easily to him. All in all when we started he was barely able to extend beyond the 90 deg. or parallel to the floor position. He possibly had 10 degrees of flexibility with very little toe ROM. When we were done he was at about 20 degrees with marked toe curl....

Just a thought....

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

nice. hadn't considered the fascia angle. FWIF i tend not to get cramps but the soles of my foot are tight as shit, particularly the tendon that attaches to the hallux, to the point where it's plainly visible on either foot upon raising the toe. i massage my soles occasionally, so, i'm guess i'm gonna have to get my ass in gear and do stuff with some semblance of regularity :p

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:08 pm
Profile YIM

I smell cheese! :toofunny:

In Life I Fail and Fail again that;s why I Succeed.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Site Admin

Rajincajun wrote:

LMAO... smart ass :D

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
Rajincajun wrote:

LMAO... smart ass :D

LMAO! I just could not help myself.

In Life I Fail and Fail again that;s why I Succeed.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:12 pm
Hawaiian Medic

From my experience with clients and soldiers, Mikey's advice is actually what I would have recommended to start with. If you still have trouble after trying the exercises/massage/stretching, let me know and I will give you more methods to help. If you can: while sitting with your legs straight reach out and pull your foot back from the toes(also dependent on hamstring flexibility) and while sitting with your leg dangling rotate your foot in circles both clockwise and counterclockwise (it should be done slowly while pushing your toes out through the entire motion using the muscles of your lower leg and it should take about 3 seconds per rotation; this is also a common warm up for martial arts if it seems familiar)

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm
Site Admin

theycallmedoc wrote:
From my experience with clients and soldiers, Mikey's advice is actually what I would have recommended to start with. If you still have trouble after trying the exercises/massage/stretching, let me know and I will give you more methods to help. If you can: while sitting with your legs straight reach out and pull your foot back from the toes(also dependent on hamstring flexibility) and while sitting with your leg dangling rotate your foot in circles both clockwise and counterclockwise (it should be done slowly while pushing your toes out through the entire motion using the muscles of your lower leg and it should take about 3 seconds per rotation; this is also a common warm up for martial arts if it seems familiar)

All that and looks to boot... you're gonna make some man - I MEAN WOman, some WOMAN very happy some day... :ohyeah:

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:26 pm
Profile   Personal Album