It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 pm  

Calves 
AuthorMessage
Forum Moderator

Post Calves
I never had great calves and i want to start making these babies pop out! I noticed since i started running that has helped but im curious how much i can work these out without over doing it. twice a week? 3 times if i space it out enough :). anyone have a good workout for it?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:32 am
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post Re: Calves
Chi-Chi wrote:
I never had great calves and i want to start making these babies pop out! I noticed since i started running that has helped but im curious how much i can work these out without over doing it. twice a week? 3 times if i space it out enough :). anyone have a good workout for it?

Calves are one of those muscles that seem to like abuse, lol. They are so dense and since they are used so much, so often seem to be able to handle being trained more often than say biceps. I've trained with guys that hit calves every other day with no problems other that painful walking, lol.

The single best exercise I've ever done for calves was standing calf raises in the smith rack. Its a small range of motion unless your standing on a board but extending below flat-footed isnt really all that much more beneficial. Its the contraction at the top that matters most.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:51 am
Profile   Personal Album
Forum Moderator

Gracias Amigo! I worked them into my leg workout on tuesday. Im going to give them another try today using the smith rack.... we also have a standing calve raise machine. that would be the same wouldnt it?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Chi-Chi wrote:
Gracias Amigo! I worked them into my leg workout on tuesday. Im going to give them another try today using the smith rack.... we also have a standing calve raise machine. that would be the same wouldnt it?

Eh, kinda. It's not as comfy to me and the angle the machine moves at throws me off a bit. Its not straight up and down, its sort of up and forward if you follow me... unless you're at an angle also which is just bloody uncomfortable.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:21 pm
Profile   Personal Album

It takes 24 hours for your nervous system to repair and after that repairs the muscles can repair. Your body takes prioties with that. So try to allow a full 48 hours between training sessions.

If you focus on the muscle you can work one of the two parts of your calves at a time. Lets say your outside is lacking. Well focus and try to build that link of control between your mind and your muscle. This can help with all excerises.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:53 pm
Profile Visit website

I think hitting them every other day works well. Howevr I have never been able to get calves. I am the guy haunted by the white man skinny calve curs

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:00 pm