It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 pm  

Dan's push up saga 
AuthorMessage
Site Admin

Post Dan's push up saga
So this morning I couldn't sep so did some pressups, again going for exhaustion. I made it to 25! Well, I'm kinda only counting 24. I finished 25 but the last one was so hard I broke good form and pulled something in my lower back which still hurts a smidge, but nowhere as bad as what it did this morning.

My position was, my hands were slightly wider than shoulder width, and about level with my head. I find it more comfortable than when my hands are level with my shoulders and I can put out a few more ups, but is this a dangerous position, vis a vis, me buggering my back up, or did I hurt myself because I strained to put out one more to get to the target of 25 that I made when I hit 20?

My arms are so weak I'm determined to be able to do pressups well enough that I don't need to fear them when we do them during aikido warm ups :p I was gonna aim for hitting 100 by the end of the year but I can't be arsed to stick to the plan so I'm just busting out an exhaustion set now and then and hoping for some improvement, really.

And are those spinny things worth getting? The bars you hold onto that swivel as you push up to keep your wrists at a more natural alignment, or something. I used them once in karate and found it much more comfortable, but are they necessarily beneficial at all? Does it even cause damage in the wrists to just do them without such aids?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:16 am
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post Re: Dan's push up saga
Sexypants McGee wrote:
So this morning I couldn't sep so did some pressups, again going for exhaustion. I made it to 25! Well, I'm kinda only counting 24. I finished 25 but the last one was so hard I broke good form and pulled something in my lower back which still hurts a smidge, but nowhere as bad as what it did this morning.

My position was, my hands were slightly wider than shoulder width, and about level with my head. I find it more comfortable than when my hands are level with my shoulders and I can put out a few more ups, but is this a dangerous position, vis a vis, me buggering my back up, or did I hurt myself because I strained to put out one more to get to the target of 25 that I made when I hit 20?

My arms are so weak I'm determined to be able to do pressups well enough that I don't need to fear them when we do them during aikido warm ups :p I was gonna aim for hitting 100 by the end of the year but I can't be arsed to stick to the plan so I'm just busting out an exhaustion set now and then and hoping for some improvement, really.

And are those spinny things worth getting? The bars you hold onto that swivel as you push up to keep your wrists at a more natural alignment, or something. I used them once in karate and found it much more comfortable, but are they necessarily beneficial at all? Does it even cause damage in the wrists to just do them without such aids?

Failure for me is the inability to continue to perform an action any further without assistance or needing to break form for this exact reason. When you broke form, did you ass up or ass down?

What I have found is if your core is weak, your lower back has to take the load much like a suspension bridge. It tends to not like that, lol. If your hands aren't in a good position it becomes easy to tweak a trap muscle and those go all the way from your neck down to about mid back along the spine.

When you get to a point where doing more is getting questionable one thing you can do is drop to your knees. Maintain the EXACT body position you had when on your toes and simply use the knees as pivot points. You should be able to get a few more reps out safely that way.

As for those handles, they're ok. More or less like any gimmick on tv, they draw their benefit from people believing they'll help so they use them more. Its that increased frequency that brings about the lions share of benefit rather than the tool.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:51 am
Profile   Personal Album
Hawaiian Medic

Post Re: Dan's push up saga
Bigmikey wrote:
Sexypants McGee wrote:

Failure for me is the inability to continue to perform an action any further without assistance or needing to break form for this exact reason. When you broke form, did you ass up or ass down?

What I have found is if your core is weak, your lower back has to take the load much like a suspension bridge. It tends to not like that, lol. If your hands aren't in a good position it becomes easy to tweak a trap muscle and those go all the way from your neck down to about mid back along the spine.

When you get to a point where doing more is getting questionable one thing you can do is drop to your knees. Maintain the EXACT body position you had when on your toes and simply use the knees as pivot points. You should be able to get a few more reps out safely that way.

As for those handles, they're ok. More or less like any gimmick on tv, they draw their benefit from people believing they'll help so they use them more. Its that increased frequency that brings about the lions share of benefit rather than the tool.

There are actually benefits that I know of for the gadgets like "the perfect pushup," but the benefits are only limited to those with certain arm or shoulder injuries. But for most people it doesn't help them do more real pushups because technically you're doing a different exercise and it works your muscles and stresses your upper-body in a different way.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:23 pm