It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 pm  

dumbells, kettlebells, and club bells oh my! 
AuthorMessage
Site Admin

Post dumbells, kettlebells, and club bells oh my!
srsly, why so goddamn many? So confusing! WTF is the difference in what they do? How is a kettlebell different to a dumbell, and are club bells as crap as they look? Saw a video of them with a woman advertising it who was torquing her knees so much it made my teeth itch.. but the others, wtf?

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:13 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post Re: dumbells, kettlebells, and club bells oh my!
Sexypants McGee wrote:
srsly, why so goddamn many? So confusing! WTF is the difference in what they do? How is a kettlebell different to a dumbell, and are club bells as crap as they look? Saw a video of them with a woman advertising it who was torquing her knees so much it made my teeth itch.. but the others, wtf?

Well, the primary difference between kettlebells and dumbells is the balance and grip. The weight on the kb is central beneath the grip, where on a db its to either side of the hand.

KBs force you to use more stabilizing muscles to move the weight. Many claim they're actually much better for over all strength development.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:48 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

So I'm better off getting a couple of kettlebells?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 am
Site Admin

Sexypants McGee wrote:
So I'm better off getting a couple of kettlebells?

Depending on what you want to do, yes. I've not had a wealth of KB experience. KE or FOD might be able to give you more.

And get thee to Ironnation with questions like this, 'tis the place to be it seemeth.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:30 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

kettlebells can be used for most DB exercises, and are easier for some things and harder for others. in addition, technique while using them is quite different sometimes (swings, snatches and cleans, for example), and maybe a bit harder to learn.

aside from that, they're both pieces of metal and are best used as a complement to barbells and as many plates as you can lift on it :p

IMO KB swings are the ultimate strength+cardio movement, though.

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:46 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Strength and cardio is what I'm after. I went to a kettlebells class and checked my watch when I started to feel properly knackered. I'd lasted six minutes. I couldn't bend my legs for two days, after all the squats. So what I wanna do is get a couple of my own and do, say, ten minutes a day with them, or something, something not too heavy duty, that will leave me feeling it, but still able to function, because 45 minutes of it is just far, far too much for my level of fitness at the moment.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm
Site Admin

Sexypants McGee wrote:
Strength and cardio is what I'm after. I went to a kettlebells class and checked my watch when I started to feel properly knackered. I'd lasted six minutes. I couldn't bend my legs for two days, after all the squats. So what I wanna do is get a couple of my own and do, say, ten minutes a day with them, or something, something not too heavy duty, that will leave me feeling it, but still able to function, because 45 minutes of it is just far, far too much for my level of fitness at the moment.

I know the feeling. I've had it many times. Just keep going and do the best you can. You'll catch up faster than you think. Plus buying a set of KBs is an investment. If you don't really take to them they might just end up expensive paper weights.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:15 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

what mikey said. then again, the problem with group classes is that the training is one size fits all, so it shits all over the less conditioned people. if you can get private instruction, that would be much better. kettlebell technique is very well suited for very dynamic high-rep work, more so than with DBs, so they're excellent for cardio work, but as with anything, if you jump straight into something beyond your level, it's gonna hurt like fork.

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am
Profile YIM
Global Moderator

Highscores: 1
Truth be told, Mikey doesn't know the difference between any of them he simply, lifts things up and puts them down!

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
i have recently become two hamburgers

"Guns!"

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:11 am
Profile Visit website