It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 pm  

Fresh Start routeen 
AuthorMessage

Post Re: Fresh Start routeen
Bigmikey wrote:
Cheeky Monkey wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHA

WANT

The key to big shoulders in my opinion is consistancy. The best routine in the world wont matter if you dont challenge your shoulders often enough to keep them full and growing. There are two exercises I swear by for shoulders, provided you can do them: Lateral raises and upright rows. Do lateral raises first. You don't need to go heavy, and in fact, its better if you don't. It allows for a better contraction at the peak of the ROM rather than peetering out somewhere around the 90% mark because the weight is just too heavy. Follow those with uprights and you'll feel your shoulders and traps start screaming soon enough.

I Iive by this with my shoulders. My lateral is light but very strict in movement, I do not do a lot of weight just very controlled movement. and I love upright rows on the Smith machine.

In Life I Fail and Fail again that;s why I Succeed.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Well tonight is the night. First night back in the gym in over a year. I should be healed at least 90% healed. I did some push ups and could crank out 30 with no problem so before I got hurt I was doing 100 push ups and when I got hurt I could not even do 1. 6 months latter I could do 3 lol! I'm getting there..

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:23 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Rajincajun wrote:
Well tonight is the night. First night back in the gym in over a year. I should be healed at least 90% healed. I did some push ups and could crank out 30 with no problem so before I got hurt I was doing 100 push ups and when I got hurt I could not even do 1. 6 months latter I could do 3 lol! I'm getting there..

Yeah you are! It'll be interesting to see how you respond to weight - especially come back/shoulder day...

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:29 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Ok so I did hit the gym for a good hour yesterday. Did the routine and I did add a few extras in because I felt good so I figured I could add a couple of extra muscle groups in because my biggest hurdle is going to be sourness. Get the sourness out the way and the real training can began.

My bench was not to bad I just moved 140lbs 3 set's of 8 to 10. I did notice in my left side I had a pulling feeling, though it didn't hurt I worked through it and after the first 2 sets my side felt fine though weak it was good. I then moved to a flat bench and did some dumbbell press, light weight but it felt good.

I also hit the cardo for a little bit. I ran half mile which felt real good but as usual my shin's were hurting so with time that will get better.

All in all it was a good start, I'm going back today to do more cardo and leg work.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am
Site Admin

Just dont get too far ahead of stuff on me, lol. I want to know if any soreness or discomfort is attributable to a certain series of motions or not. If you add too much I wont know what caused it.

Having said that I'm REALLY glad it went well!!! I was nervous a little about triceps. Pushdowns can be a little stressful on the back.

Were the reps easy or did you start to fall off due to lack of endurance? Shoot me a PM with a little more detail of what weights you pushed/reps you did and what you added if you get the chance please?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:28 am
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
Just dont get too far ahead of stuff on me, lol. I want to know if any soreness or discomfort is attributable to a certain series of motions or not. If you add too much I wont know what caused it.

Having said that I'm REALLY glad it went well!!! I was nervous a little about triceps. Pushdowns can be a little stressful on the back.

Were the reps easy or did you start to fall off due to lack of endurance? Shoot me a PM with a little more detail of what weights you pushed/reps you did and what you added if you get the chance please?

I did do triceps I did medium weight 3 sets of failure with no issue of pain. This was the only Triceps movement that I did do and it was last movement. My arms felt tired so I left it at that.

I did 3 set's to failure Medium weight on cable machine.
* No pain at all.

I did 4 sets of 8 Bench press, Did warm up set then added 140lbs.
* Slight pulling in my back left side, got better with more reps.

I did 3 set's 6 reps Flat bench Dumbbell press 100lbs total.
* No pain just weak on the left side but still got 6 reps.

I did Side Lateral raises. 4 sets to failure only 15 lbs on the weight each side.
* No pain but was hard to do, strength is low, but my shoulders have always been the weak muscle.

I did Upright Row on smith Machine. 50lbs 4 set to failure
* Very worried about this movement with back but stayed light and did what I could. It did feel good no pain.

I did seated Dumbbell Curls 3 set to failure 35 lbs each side.
* Very easy to do could of went up on the weight but keep it light to work out the kinks. No pain.

Did core work, crunches and a few other moves then cardo.

I did notice my muscles did fatigue quick which was expected but man I got a nice pump all over, I had to loosen my watch strap LOL! Veins where popping out nicely so I think I've keep most of the vascularity .
There was no real pain, I was a little worried about the pulling I had when doing bench Press but that passed and there was no real pain at all..

Today I do have soreness but not bad, wait till tomorrow it should be at it's worse LOL!!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:24 am
Site Admin

Rajincajun wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

I did do triceps I did medium weight 3 sets of failure with no issue of pain. This was the only Triceps movement that I did do and it was last movement. My arms felt tired so I left it at that.

I did 3 set's to failure Medium weight on cable machine.
* No pain at all.

I did 4 sets of 8 Bench press, Did warm up set then added 140lbs.
* Slight pulling in my back left side, got better with more reps.

I did 3 set's 6 reps Flat bench Dumbbell press 100lbs total.
* No pain just weak on the left side but still got 6 reps.

I did Side Lateral raises. 4 sets to failure only 15 lbs on the weight each side.
* No pain but was hard to do, strength is low, but my shoulders have always been the weak muscle.

I did Upright Row on smith Machine. 50lbs 4 set to failure
* Very worried about this movement with back but stayed light and did what I could. It did feel good no pain.

I did seated Dumbbell Curls 3 set to failure 35 lbs each side.
* Very easy to do could of went up on the weight but keep it light to work out the kinks. No pain.

Did core work, crunches and a few other moves then cardo.

I did notice my muscles did fatigue quick which was expected but man I got a nice pump all over, I had to loosen my watch strap LOL! Veins where popping out nicely so I think I've keep most of the vascularity .
There was no real pain, I was a little worried about the pulling I had when doing bench Press but that passed and there was no real pain at all..

Today I do have soreness but not bad, wait till tomorrow it should be at it's worse LOL!!

did you do the lateral raises facing into the incline bench as I suggested? It'll save your back but it will also hit the shoulders at a slightly different angle than your used to. It'll make a big difference in overall shape once you get used to them.

Is this more inline with what your typical workout would be? If so I need to revamp what I gave you significantly. Seems you're in alot better condition than I suspected.... ya stubborn, country bastid :D

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Yeah I'm stubborn no doubt lol!! I did the incline like you said but I could not do anything over 10lbs for some reason so I just stood up and did them which I did 15lbs, very light but very good forum for sure. One thing is for sure my forum is still tight.

I don't know why but my shoulders could never do heavy, I could do decent amount of weight if I used the Smith Machine sitting on a seat. That was the only way I could put a lot of weight on my shoulders. And still that was only 150lbs (not counting the bar) for about 4 reps.

Now my strength is still down and will be for a few more weeks I'm sure but right now I have no stamina which is totally different than what I'm use to so I hope that comes back fast. I use to have to do 3 to 4 sets to failure on any given muscle to get a good burn. Now it doesn't take much but again it's been a while so I can deal with it..

I got some ibuprofen for the stiffness so that's helping LOL!! Man I sure would love some vicodin but being I use to eat them like candy for the past year I need to stay away from LOL!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm
Site Admin

Makes sense you'd have a hard time with those incline laterals. They hit your delts from a different angle. Keep after 'em and they'l respond pretty quickly giving your shoulders a much fuller, rounder look :flex:

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:14 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
I think we can make this work. I've been doing some serious work with super sets and "series" work - meaning go from this combo of excercises to this combo of exercises with no rest... its been working really well, creating a definite cardio environment. Chi chi on here has done it, I think Knight has as well. The basic principle is to keep the heart rate up and the oxygen depletion constant WHILE lifting... its brutal, hope you like to sweat alot, lol... I think that will be the approach we take at least in the beginning.... I'll write it out and we can talk about it.

Sorry I'm late, but it looks like it is going well for R.C.

I've been doing the "super set" / "series" thing for the last year or so and I honestly don't understand why I didn't go back to this style of training long before that. I can work myself to a near death experience without putting unneccessary wear and tear on the old joints and connective tissues. The bonus is it is as much of a cardio session as it is a resistance session. I have lost some size, but not nearly as much as I thought I might. In ALL ways I am healthier, more fit and look better. I may not be as strong but I've become a better total package with far less (almost none) down time due to injury. I went from 225 lbs at 16% body fat to 190 lbs at 9% body fat. Let me be the first to stress that for me I believe my diet plays a larger role in the results (or equal) than the exact method of training, but there is no question light weights, perfect form and little to no rest played a role.

Those of us in the over 40 club (and beyond in my case) need to use our heads more than good old fashion grit to get the job done these days.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 pm

knight55387 wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:
I think we can make this work. I've been doing some serious work with super sets and "series" work - meaning go from this combo of excercises to this combo of exercises with no rest... its been working really well, creating a definite cardio environment. Chi chi on here has done it, I think Knight has as well. The basic principle is to keep the heart rate up and the oxygen depletion constant WHILE lifting... its brutal, hope you like to sweat alot, lol... I think that will be the approach we take at least in the beginning.... I'll write it out and we can talk about it.

Sorry I'm late, but it looks like it is going well for R.C.

I've been doing the "super set" / "series" thing for the last year or so and I honestly don't understand why I didn't go back to this style of training long before that. I can work myself to a near death experience without putting unneccessary wear and tear on the old joints and connective tissues. The bonus is it is as much of a cardio session as it is a resistance session. I have lost some size, but not nearly as much as I thought I might. In ALL ways I am healthier, more fit and look better. I may not be as strong but I've become a better total package with far less (almost none) down time due to injury. I went from 225 lbs at 16% body fat to 190 lbs at 9% body fat. Let me be the first to stress that for me I believe my diet plays a larger role in the results (or equal) than the exact method of training, but there is no question light weights, perfect form and little to no rest played a role.

Those of us in the over 40 club (and beyond in my case) need to use our heads more than good old fashion grit to get the job done these days.

You got the right Kinght, me getting hurt is the last straw for me. over 1 1/2yrs down? That's just crazy and I refuse to let it happen again not to add all the goals I had just smashed and reached. I was about to take 2 weeks off the gym and I went to the gym and threw down the most weight I have ever moved, two days latter I was in the ER.

I do know that my diet did play a role getting me lean because I did no cardo at all but I was well into the 8%BF range. I had a BF count done and it came back 7.1% which was BS so I had the guy check it again and it came back 7.3% so 8.5% is about what I would say for sure.

Though I was never a big guy I got up to 190 lbs but to get ripped I had to drop way down like to 160lbs which I did then I slowly brought the weight back up to 170 where I stayed.

I really never seen any big change with heavy weight unless I ate 4500 calories a day which is just way to hard for me. So I ate what I could and just watched my body change. SO this time around I'm keeping the weight moderate no matter what but I will do as many reps in the best forum I can humanly do. Plus do the sets in a fixed time, changing the time I can complete the sets to make it like a cardo type workout something I've never done.

For tonight I'm taking off, 2 days in a row I'm pretty sore so I'm resting then back at it tomorrow. I have till June 2011 to reach my goal, I think it can be done..

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:14 pm
Site Admin

Rajincajun wrote:
For tonight I'm taking off, 2 days in a row I'm pretty sore so I'm resting then back at it tomorrow. I have till June 2011 to reach my goal, I think it can be done..

What did you do today? I was hoping to moderate your sorness so you wouldnt need much time off but since you ARE sore, what hurts most? Lets use that as a guide of what might have weakened the most....

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
Rajincajun wrote:

What did you do today? I was hoping to moderate your sorness so you wouldnt need much time off but since you ARE sore, what hurts most? Lets use that as a guide of what might have weakened the most....

Chest mainly arms a little everything else a little sorer but good. I can't seem to relax when I get in the gym, I just see the goal I have set and man I just want to attack it badly. It's taking everything to keep me out of the gym today but I need eat and rest. Tomorrow more cardo and more weight's I wanna do legs tomorrow. And the one thing I'm scared to death of my back, or should I wait on the back?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Well I'm no expert but I'd say you were closer to 7% than 8% in the pic you posted. I remember when you posted that shot on TFF, you looked real good. You will be well on your way back to that in no time flat. I think it will blow your mind how fast your body will readapt to that familier "stimulation" it has locked in it's memory and become the machine you have previously programed into your DNA. Just don't rush it, let it happen on it's own time no matter what that means.

The thing about weight is our mind is the most powerful muscle of all. By using our minds and locking into what our bodies are doing we can manipulate lighter weights to make them feel much heavier. I mix it up with some explosive (but controlled) positives and painfully slow negatives along with using a normal cadance. Sure the days of 2 to 6 reps are history but with the proper mind/muscle focus I can make a light to moderate weight feel awful heavy by the 8th or 10th rep. Then throw in some drop sets or rest pauses and get on to the next movement with no rest. While 1 muscle group is trying to recover for 60 to 90 seconds you are tearing up another group and so on and so forth. The cardiovascular system never gets a break which brings the heat and makes it down right murderous if you want it to be.

Let the 20 somethings lift the flippin gym. They will be looking for you 15 years from now for answers on how to work with their tore up bodies.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:30 pm
Site Admin

Rajincajun wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

Chest mainly arms a little everything else a little sorer but good. I can't seem to relax when I get in the gym, I just see the goal I have set and man I just want to attack it badly. It's taking everything to keep me out of the gym today but I need eat and rest. Tomorrow more cardo and more weight's I wanna do legs tomorrow. And the one thing I'm scared to death of my back, or should I wait on the back?

Well, try the stuff I gave you so we can at least see how you respond to that. It may be that we can do stuff and give you some sort of back workout. Best case scenario is you're fine and we can beat the hell out of it eventually, but minimally if we can just do a little something we can keep some of your back muscles strong to help with posture, etc. Give it a go, but take it slow.

I know you want to get to that goal, BUH-LEE me!! But if we push too hard too soon you could blow the whole deal. Lets get ourselves walking steadily before we try sprinting, eh? :)

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:58 pm
Profile   Personal Album