It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 pm  

Fresh Start routeen 
AuthorMessage

Post Fresh Start routeen
Hey Mikey it's been about a 1 1/2 years that I have been in the gym. As you know my injury so I need to work around it some but I'm also hoping that getting back in the gym will also make things better. The pinched nerve in my back is about 6" down from where my shoulders meet my neck. The nerve I pinched goes over my left shoulder down my arm to my hand. I still have numbness in my left thumb, I still can't feel thing's by touch with the thumb although I have full feeling back in my pointer finger now.

My goal is to put some size back on but as you know, you are the one that did my routine before and my final results were all from your direction. I know we can get back to the place we where before. One thing is I don't think I will be lifting the amount of weight I was before just to play it safe and not re-injure myself. My goal this time is to move more to a cardo type workout with strength in mind. I would like to get to 8% BF by June 2011 though I know that's going to be a challenge so if I reach 9% I would be happy.

I would like to have one movement for each muscle that's a basic movement that allows the heaviest amount of weight. Now with my injury in mind all the muscles that will not need my back to be used which is not many we can go heavy.

I know that I can't do heavy squat which totally sucks because it was the heaviest movement I had not counting using a machine. I want to keep squats in my routine I'll just have to go easy on the weight.

My chest is something that I also want to get back to where it was before so weight is not a issue here.

Arms and shoulders are not a issue but my heaviest movement for shoulders was a seated press which I'm worried about this putting too much pressure on my back but I still love this moment and got some of the best results from it.

My back, anything that has to do with the back is going to be an issue. Pull downs, rows etc. are going to be a problem to a degree. I can do them but just have to be very strict on the form and easy on the weight. Will high reps be the best solution?

The Butt, anything I can do to get it hard and solid would be great.

Stomach is also one of the bigger items I want to zero in on. As of now my stomach still has a out line, I don't have far to go thank god LOL!

I think It's good to say by BF is close to 12% right now. I have not put on much weight for being out of the gym for so long, I tried to keep eating lean till I could get back to the gym so really if you go by the scale I only put on like 8 LBS.

So what do you think? DO you think we can reach my goal? You been knowing me for a long time so you know I'll follow your advice so that's not an issue. Lay me out something that you think will be good for me and I'll get rocking. I'm not starting the gym till Tuesday so this gives you plenty of time to scope something out for me. Keep in mind I want more cardo this time around.

Thanks Bro as always.

~R~

In Life I Fail and Fail again that;s why I Succeed.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:46 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post Re: Fresh Start routeen
I think we can make this work. I've been doing some serious work with super sets and "series" work - meaning go from this combo of excercises to this combo of exercises with no rest... its been working really well, creating a definite cardio environment. Chi chi on here has done it, I think Knight has as well. The basic principle is to keep the heart rate up and the oxygen depletion constant WHILE lifting... its brutal, hope you like to sweat alot, lol... I think that will be the approach we take at least in the beginning.... I'll write it out and we can talk about it.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Yeah bro that sounds like that's right up my Allie. Being 43 now the heavy weight is not something my body handles well anymore plus the cardo will do me some good.

Can you set me up with a something that will help me for the first month? You know how it is after not being in the gym for a while add the fact your in the 40's so the first month or so I will be so sore which I would like to minimize the the soreness as much as possible.

Here is what I'm looking at. The first picture was the week before I got hurt. I had reached my goal but don't thin I can get back to that point without heavy weight. I would like to get to the point in the second picture which was a year before I got hurt.

More realistic of what I should be-able to reach.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 pm
Minister of Propaganda

have you tried doing tai chi or something similar to help rehab your back/shoulder? welcome to the forum btw. i envy your deltoids :p. any tips on how to get them to that size?

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
have you tried doing tai chi or something similar to help rehab your back/shoulder? welcome to the forum btw. i envy your deltoids :p. any tips on how to get them to that size?

Yeah.... ask me, lol!! :D

Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:52 am
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Rajincajun wrote:
Yeah bro that sounds like that's right up my Allie. Being 43 now the heavy weight is not something my body handles well anymore plus the cardo will do me some good.

Can you set me up with a something that will help me for the first month? You know how it is after not being in the gym for a while add the fact your in the 40's so the first month or so I will be so sore which I would like to minimize the the soreness as much as possible.

Here is what I'm looking at. The first picture was the week before I got hurt. I had reached my goal but don't thin I can get back to that point without heavy weight. I would like to get to the point in the second picture which was a year before I got hurt.

Well, what you have to remember is now that you've established the build in pic 1, muscle memory can go a long way toward getting you there again. Thats the beauty of it. So I think we can definitely get you looking thick, and full again easily enough. Let me work on getting you started again and we'll take it from there...

Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:57 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

Bigmikey wrote:
Cheeky Monkey wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHA

WANT

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:15 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHA

WANT

The key to big shoulders in my opinion is consistancy. The best routine in the world wont matter if you dont challenge your shoulders often enough to keep them full and growing. There are two exercises I swear by for shoulders, provided you can do them: Lateral raises and upright rows. Do lateral raises first. You don't need to go heavy, and in fact, its better if you don't. It allows for a better contraction at the peak of the ROM rather than peetering out somewhere around the 90% mark because the weight is just too heavy. Follow those with uprights and you'll feel your shoulders and traps start screaming soon enough.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:24 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

cheers! any particular tips on technique or range of motion? common mistakes, injury avoidance, etc?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:28 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
cheers! any particular tips on technique or range of motion? common mistakes, injury avoidance, etc?

Those are awesome questions and I'm glad you asked them!

For lateral raises lets say that arms at your sides is "0" and arms straight out, parallel to the floor is "90"... easy enough, right? I like to go from say 60 to 100 and back down. I try to keep it controlled and constant, no rests. Get a good squeeze at the top. One BIG tip when doing these is try to hold the weight so that the thumb-side of your hand points downward. Thumb up brings in too much of the front delt, but by rotating thumb downward you get medials all the way. Now dont go crazy and have your hands turned completely upside down, lol, but sloping downward at a 45 should be fine.

On uprights, the thing to watch for is forearm tendonitis. Going to heavy can put a fair amount of stress on the forearms and after a bit can strain tendons. This can be rather painful and take a LOOOONNNNNG time to recovery from. Always be sure to start the motion at the elbows and not the hands. This may sound strange but if you start at the hands its very easy for your elbows to drop and increase the strain on the foreams. By mentally starting at the hands, elbows stay up and the movement targets the delts to its fullest. Again, constant motion, no stops. For this exercise I like to go full on from 0 to chin height and back down again.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:36 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

Bigmikey wrote:
Cheeky Monkey wrote:

For lateral raises lets say that arms at your sides is "0" and arms straight out, parallel to the floor is "90"... easy enough, right? I like to go from say 60 to 100 and back down. I try to keep it controlled and constant, no rests. Get a good squeeze at the top. One BIG tip when doing these is try to hold the weight so that the thumb-side of your hand points downward. Thumb up brings in too much of the front delt, but by rotating thumb downward you get medials all the way. Now dont go crazy and have your hands turned completely upside down, lol, but sloping downward at a 45 should be fine.

On uprights, the thing to watch for is forearm tendonitis. Going to heavy can put a fair amount of stress on the forearms and after a bit can strain tendons. This can be rather painful and take a LOOOONNNNNG time to recovery from. Always be sure to start the motion at the elbows and not the hands. This may sound strange but if you start at the hands its very easy for your elbows to drop and increase the strain on the foreams. By mentally starting at the hands, elbows stay up and the movement targets the delts to its fullest. Again, constant motion, no stops. For this exercise I like to go full on from 0 to chin height and back down again.

cheers. funnily enough the elbow first stuff is something i know how to do because of tai chi :p

now MOAR QUESTIONIZORING!

what elbow angle do you use for the lateral raises? also on the uprights: the elbow or the dumbbell to chin height? for both exercises: what should i do with my shoulder girdle? theoretically contracting my lats should maximize deltoid use, right?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:48 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

cheers. funnily enough the elbow first stuff is something i know how to do because of tai chi :p

now MOAR QUESTIONIZORING!

what elbow angle do you use for the lateral raises? also on the uprights: the elbow or the dumbbell to chin height? for both exercises: what should i do with my shoulder girdle? theoretically contracting my lats should maximize deltoid use, right?

Whats funny is that this is the kind of stuff I created The Fitness Focus for but all we did there was bullshit. I create THIS place to do nothing BUT bullshit and end up having one of the best fitness related discussions I've had in a while... cracks me up.

Firstly, for the uprights, they are best done with a barbell. I prefer a curl bar but they CAN be done with dumbells. Motion is the same. This is a fairly good example of a wide grip upright row. Most places/people will tell you to bring the hands closer together. I find this to increase the risk of forearm injury more so than the benefit of the exercise.

With anything of this nature, keep the shoulders back, core tight and never EVER swing back and forth. Movement is expected but it should be minor and controlled.

For the lateral raise, here's a decent video (sorry about the commercial at the beginning....)

One thing he doesnt touch on is chest up. Always, no matter what you're doing in fitness, keep your chest up. This creates torso stability, protects the spine, and brings the shoulders back into a more stable position.

did that help?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:02 am
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

yup! thanks!

also, DAMN that chick has abs.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:24 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
yup! thanks!

also, DAMN that chick has abs.

OOOHHHHhh yes she does. Nothing quite as hot I tell ya...

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am
Profile   Personal Album

Cheeky Monkey wrote:

Mikey is right ask him. I did his workout on the money, Thanks for having also.

~R~

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 pm