It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 pm  

I'm a giant idiot and need advice. 
AuthorMessage

Post I'm a giant idiot and need advice.
OK, so my goals in health and fitness are quite humble. I want to be well muscled, and I want to be able to do some cool athletic things like run fast and do karate. Eventually, I want to have a six-pack because, well, who doesn't? but I'm not too fussed about that, really. As long as I can look muscular rather than fat, I'm happy.
But I find myself confused as to how to go about it. Essentially, I have the same goals that everybody else does. I just want to be fit and look good naked. I'm prepared to work to do it, but what I don't want to do is get any more into the arguments over what system is best, etc. Basically, I see my fitness 'career' going in one of two ways:
1. Drink the crossfit kool aid. a.k.a making it massively complicated and acquiring the ability to do all kinds of awesome things. I've done crossfit in the past, enjoyed it, and got stronger. But there are a few problems with this. Namely
a. I've been hearing bad things recently about crossfit's efficacy and
b. It's too bloody hard! mean, I'm prepared to work at my fitness, but I don't want to wake up and think 'oh god, I have to put myself through that amount of pain all over again'.
c. Some of the things I'm asked to do by crossfit are overly elaborate. I'm not sure I want to take things into the world of doing elaborate performances on rings etc. Flips and pushups are about all I want to be able to achieve in gymnastics.
2. Starting strength- a.k.a keeping it really simple and getting really big and strong. A while ago, I decided this was definetly the way to go, but I got interrupted by suddenly finding payed employment. I'm wondering whether to give it another go. The problems with this are:
a. I don't want to get fat. I'm already a bit fatter than I should probably be- I'm even developing a belly. This is most disturbing, and I have no wish to exacerbate the problem by eating 4,000 calories a day. I'm not one of those people who wants to be really small, or to stay ripped. I just don't want to become fat.
b. I have ambitions to do athletic things other than lift weights, and the program doesn't seem to cater to that.

OK so I need advice. Should I suck it up and put myself through the pain of a WOD every day, or should I get a bit fatter than I would like, and then diet/work it off afterwards? Or maybe you think I should be doing something totally different. In any case, help!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:16 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Post Re: I'm a giant idiot and need advice.
Seems like you've backed yourself into an either/or situation. How about taking elements from both crossfit and any starting strength program and creating your own custom mix-match routine to achieve your own specific goals?

Maybe start by making a list of the things you want to achieve - looks like you're way ahead of me there already. ;) Then design a routine that incorporates the exercises that will get you there in the time you have available between your job and your social life. From what you've written I'd say you probably want a routine that alternates between heavy lifting on the odd sessions and cardio-like activities on the even ones. Remember also that, for the majority of us, tidying the diet of junk food is the greatest factor in getting or keeping lean.

Just my 2p.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:24 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Whats the exchange rate for pennies and pents? I just want to make sure I'm not under offering here, lol.

I have a hangup with 'canned methodologies' for this exact reason. I like what CF suggested. Take what you like, what you feel is useful and blend it in to something that works for you, your lifestyle and your needs.

Methodologies to me are simply suggestions, guidelines, like recipes, which are expected to me altered according to taste, so to speak, not taken as gospel.

Start with something simple. Just find something you can do CONSISTANTLY, that is realistic given your time constraints, equipment, and establish a 'habit'. For example you might simply focus on pushups, incline bench press, pullups, bent over rows, squats and lunges for four or five weeks and then add a little something or change a little something as you see fit to keep it exciting.

Let me know if I can help with the details any.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:18 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
Whats the exchange rate for pennies and pents? I just want to make sure I'm not under offering here, lol.

I typed "pent" into google and clicked on images - I got mostly pictures of wooden garden sheds. Given that the average medium-sized wooden garden shed sells for about £300 I think I can confidently assert that two pents will get you about 60,000 pennies.

:Sexypants McGee:

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Quote:

By all means- I'm still thinking in terms of generalities at the moment. Possibly a full body routine of weightlifting on odd days and running/parkour on even?

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:29 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Knight_Errant wrote:
Quote:

By all means- I'm still thinking in terms of generalities at the moment. Possibly a full body routine of weightlifting on odd days and running/parkour on even?

But then when do you rest?

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:32 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
But then when do you rest?

He might have been copying from what I posted. I should clarify. What I meant was on odd training days do one thing and on even training days do another. So if you trained 4 days a week, say Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun, then Tues and Sat would could as "odd" training days and Thurs and Sun would count as "even" training days. Mon, Weds and Fri wouldn't count as "odd" or "even" they'd be rest days.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:10 am