It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 pm  

Home Gym Machines 
AuthorMessage
Global Moderator

Post Home Gym Machines
What do you think of them? OK, I know that a lot of you do free weights etc and can handle large weight restrictions, but I am only a beginner. Well not a total beginner as I used to attend a gym 4 days a week for years before I had the kids and my depression really got bad. So with over a decade of illnesses, unhealthy living and eating I might as well be a beginner again for all intense purposes! Believe it or not I used to be really fit, flat tummy with visible abs, not like rocks but you could still see them! lol! My bum, arms and legs were extremely firm. I walked for miles, cycled to and from work every day in all weather. It is amazing how much can change in a decade.

Now I am the complete opposite, and I am really sick of it. I am being realistic and know that I am not going to be like that again but I do really need to grab back some of my life and health. I want to start weight training again but because I live in the middle of nowhere, where it is miles to a shop never mind a gym I need to do this at home.

As some of you may know, I am a Banana has been made redundant recently and life had thrown us a curve ball. We want to take this as an opportunity and not wallow in it and make life more miserable for ourselves. He has been offered a redundancy package, it is not a huge amount but we want to make the most of it and will be using that money on improving our home and our health.

One of the things we were talking about was getting a home gym, (weight machine). Nothing too expensive, but something we can afford that we can both benefit from. As the recession is very bad in Ireland at the moment it is unlikely that he will get a new job anytime soon so will have a lot of time on his hands. We want to work out together and get a bit fitter and healthier. So that is our new years plan! I am quite excited about it so I know it is the right decision to make.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:23 am
Profile   Personal Album

Post Re: Home Gym Machines
I'd strongly advocate getting free weights. My beginners package would look something like this:

* Powercage
* Bench (flat or adjustable, without all the extra frills)
* 7 foot olympic bar
* 2 X olympic dumbbell handles
* 4x collars for the above
* A reasonable amount of weights to start with, maybe ~100kg - sounds a lot, but bear in mind you'll get stronger over time and that this will be made up of large and small weights. You don't want to have to load up for a heavy set with all the little 5s 2.5s and 1.25s just to get the right weight!

I managed to get all of the above for slightly less cash than I spent on a rather limited free weight machine several years earlier. So I'd say it's economical as well as better.

Shout if you want more details on the above in any way, or if the terminology/jargon isn't clear at all.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:49 am
Global Moderator

All my favorite weight machines at the gym were the leg ones. How can you use free weights for the lower body and legs? and is it difficult? Like the Leg press ,Back leg curl, Leg extension. I know it may sound a bit odd to say but I used to get great satisfaction from these.

Also forgot to mention that we both have bad backs. Getting old sucks!

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:17 am
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
F-Bomb wrote:
All my favorite weight machines at the gym were the leg ones. How can you use free weights for the lower body and legs? and is it difficult? Like the Leg press ,Back leg curl, Leg extension. I know it may sound a bit odd to say but I used to get great satisfaction from these.

F-Bomb, given the lack of any structured exercise you've experienced I would say you don't even need a machine. Right now you can do all you need for your upper and lower body with body weight exercises or very simply equipment.

You mention legs. Given where you're at right now simply performing 'sit-squats' with your body weight will prove challenging enough. What you do is stand in front of a strong, solid chair and sit down slowly. Then, as soon as your butt touches, stand up as quickly as you can. Repeat with as few pauses as possible until you reach 50. It may sound silly but try it and let me know how 25 felt, lol...

I know that money's a bit tight right now so simple household goods can be used instead of store bought weights. Two plastic milk jugs can serve quite well as dumbells.

Check this vid:

As you get stronger and money opens up you can look into more solid equipment like Coma suggested and create a really nice home gym but to get started again, I don't think you need to invest much at all.

If you are pretty set on some equipment though, probably the first piece I'd buy and one that isnt very expensive is a dip/pullup stand like this:

These things are great for abs, dips to work the chest, shoulders and back of the arms and pull ups/chin ups. You can even get ones that have an assist. However, great benefit can be derived from simply holding yourself in static positions. They are in expensive, take up very little room and enable you to challenge virtually the entire upper body.

Next, something like this can be really useful and fun:

I bought my heavy bag for $70. It came as a set with gloves and a jump rope. I use the hell out of it. The one I have needs to be hung, the one I showed you is free standing.

Depending on what your ultimate goals are you can do quite a lot with very little.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:03 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

in addition to what mikey mentioned, i'd suggest doing the sit squats holding a dowel over your head (look into the 'overhead squat' to learn how to hold it properly), which will strengthen your lower back massively.

btw, how's the hernia business going?

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile YIM

F-Bomb wrote:

Squats, Deadlifts and Good Mornings are the main free weight lower body exercises. Although they might be problematic if you have bad backs. Depending on what's wrong with your backs they might make things better or they might make things work. Sticking with machine work only is probably a safer bet if you don't know either way and want to play it safe, but it will cost a hell of a lot more money to buy these machines.

One idea - would it be feasible to take the money you have allocated for home gym equipment and spend it on a membership in a good local gym?

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:53 pm
Global Moderator

Thanks guys. :D

I can't do anything about my hernia until I lose weight unfortunately! :cry: Even though it is quite big! So it is in my best interest all round to get fitter. I know it is going to be a long road and feels a bit scary, but rather that scary road to the alternative!

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:57 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

We were looking at a multi gym, (one machine) not lots of different one, wouldn't have the money or the space.

We can get this for 210 euro which would be $276. I am well aware that this will probably look crap to you hard core guys.
But we are with in the weight restrictions and we can add weights to it.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:01 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

i think a guy on MAP had gotten a very nice (and actually legit) machine for his home gym. i'll ask him the brand, model and price later.

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:12 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

F-Bomb wrote:
We were looking at a multi gym, (one machine) not lots of different one, wouldn't have the money or the space.

We can get this for 210 euro which would be $276. I am well aware that this will probably look crap to you hard core guys.
But we are with in the weight restrictions and we can add weights to it.

F-Bomb, you keep mentioning 'weight restrictions'... what exactly do you mean by that?

I think it looks decent enough though I"m not sure how you can add weight to it. How much does it come with to start? My only issue with it is its footprint. You can find similarly priced machines with much smaller space demands. This machine is $277.00 at Walmart.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:31 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

'weight restrictions' as in if you are too heavy to use it. Can it hold you with out breaking etc.

The machine stats:-

Horizontal gym

•Horizontal gym.
•Bench press.
•Pec dec.
•Leg extension.
•Triceps press.
•Back leg curl.
•Weight stack 32kg providing 64kg maximum resistance.
•Vinyl weight stack.
•Double ratio open roller race with covers pulley system.
•Folding elements including: Seat (lay-flat backrest) folds up and is removable.
•Maximum user weight 125kg/19st10lb.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:34 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

F-Bomb wrote:
'weight restrictions' as in if you are too heavy to use it. Can it hold you with out breaking etc.

•Maximum user weight 125kg/19st10lb.

Ok, so that converts to 275 pounds. Typically manufacturers will significantly under rate machinery to avoid consumer complaints. As an example, my last bench was rated to 305 pounds of weight (not MY weight, the amount of lifting type weight), after a call to the manufacturer I learned that the bench could easily support far more. I had as much as 415 pounds on it and it performed without fail. When you include my body weight of 270 pounds the bench itself supported nearly 700 pounds. My point is while you shouldnt ignore those restrictions completely you should take them with a grain of salt.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:59 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

Thank you Mikey. I have to admit I was going very much by the weight thing as I was afraid that I would break something at my weight.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:39 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

just got a reply, what the guy got was a york 3301 home gym (like this one http://www.ukclassifieds.co.uk/york_330 ... 81378.html), which he says he got second hand on ebay for £180, but that you need to factor in the cost of transporting it to your home if you choose to look for one, but that they tend to go cheap.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile YIM
Global Moderator

Thanks FoD! :aok:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:00 pm
Profile   Personal Album