It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 pm  

question for the fit people... 
AuthorMessage
The Queen of Poo

Post Re: question for the fit people...
Bigmikey wrote:
Winnie's a punk wrote:

Ohhh so that's why I go under in the sea if I'm not thrashing like fork.

My mom always says 'your boobs should keep you up'....Nope.

Maybe if you're dolly friggin parton! You're WAY too lean NOT to have thrash about like you have an electric eel in your drawers to stay afloat.

Which is hot, just for the record, lol... never let ANYONE tell you it isn't. You just need to hang out in crowds that appreciate you. I know female fitness competitors that would KILL to have your build. No joke.

Lol, thanks! :)

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm

I had an argument with an ex doctor a few years ago. I told him I'd lost 8lbs in 2 weeks due to bad gastric reflux, his eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw the scale and compared it to my notes. I was almost 60lbs heavier than what he had written down. Last time he weighed me was after basic training, when I was 21 and built like a racing snake. Anyhoo, i took my top off and flexed a little to prove a point, my arms were almost as big as his legs and I had a measured BF% of 11.
He still insisted that i was "too heavy", to cut a long story short, I gave him a lecture about the BMI being commisioned in Victorian England and not taking into consideration bone density or muscle mass and if he was going to preach crap and not write me a script I was going to leave his practice and go elsewhere.
I got the script, I changed docs a few years later due to other shenanigans with the incompetent fools!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm

I totally understand where the anger at the BMI comes from. It's such a clumsy tool. It's of dubious use even when applied as a generalisation to populations, but trying to use it as a reliable guide for individuals? Any doc that doesn't understand why it shouldn't be used is too lazy and/or ignorant to deserve to be taken seriously.

I was going to crowbar my own opinions about how cholesterol is measured and used as a marker in the same clumsy way, but I'll leave it at just this mention. :D

For the record, I'm 198lbs, 5'11'', 27.8 BMI and probably around 11=12% BF (7 point calliper test).

Also, there was a series of interesting articles on the different kinds of body fat measurement on weightology recently. It's a fair bit of reading, but in case anyone's interested, here they are:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=146
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=162
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=175
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=218
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=250
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=260
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=283

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 pm
The Queen of Poo

Thanks for that Cosmic!! Very informative and easy to understand.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks Cosmic!

So, unless we are dead and have all our bidyfat stripped off and weighed, we won't ever get an accurate BF%?
How would this work though, will we have to be weighed the second before we die as we lose body fluids upon death (and 21 grams ;-)) .

I think circumferential measureing is the best guide to measuring subcutaneous fat. Where we typically deposit it on the body, if we are trying to lose it and measure a steady decrease in the circumference of this body part, then the chances are we're dropping bodyfat. We'll never get an accurate measurement on visceral fat, though, so it might be prudent to keep an eye on cholesterol levels. Don't accept a single number for this, get a full HDL, LDL, triglycerides count or the number is useless - think blood pressure being given as a single number, useless, same goes for cholesterol.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:05 am

Scotsmark wrote:
Thanks Cosmic!

So, unless we are dead and have all our bidyfat stripped off and weighed, we won't ever get an accurate BF%?
How would this work though, will we have to be weighed the second before we die as we lose body fluids upon death (and 21 grams ;-)) .

I think circumferential measureing is the best guide to measuring subcutaneous fat. Where we typically deposit it on the body, if we are trying to lose it and measure a steady decrease in the circumference of this body part, then the chances are we're dropping bodyfat. We'll never get an accurate measurement on visceral fat, though, so it might be prudent to keep an eye on cholesterol levels. Don't accept a single number for this, get a full HDL, LDL, triglycerides count or the number is useless - think blood pressure being given as a single number, useless, same goes for cholesterol.

Cheers for the feedback.

What's the 21 grams? Not the soul leaving the body, surely? :lalala:

I should probably start doing circumferential measuring myself. Reason being, callipers put my body fat at 10-11%, but I'm sure that's understated. I got down to 8.7% March this year and was lean, but abs were still not visible. Incidentally, don't look up the wiki page for circumferential measuring at work - it has nearly naked ladies on it. :DOH:

I agree on getting a full blood panel done for cholesterol too. However, most don't go far enough. Most docs in England, at least, still use the Friedewald equation to estimate LDL. I went to a posh Harley Street doc and paid to get mine done privately, and even they used this method. It's reasonably accurate for a lot of cases, but if your triglycerides are very high or (like mine) very low then it renders the LDL estimate less accurate. Also, LDL particle size is very important in assessing risk for heart attacks. This is something else that can be guessed by looking at triglyceride and HDL levels, but if you want to be certain you'd have to pay good money to have it properly measured. Rule of thumb - if you don't ask, you won't get.

Cholesterol was something of a minor obsession of mine a couple of years ago and I studied it in some detail. I'm not medically qualified and I'm far from an expert, but if anyone wants me to elaborate on what I do know, shout - I'll be happy to share the bits I'm familiar with.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 am

CosmicFish wrote:
Scotsmark wrote:
Thanks Cosmic!

Cheers for the feedback.

What's the 21 grams? Not the soul leaving the body, surely? :lalala:

I should probably start doing circumferential measuring myself. Reason being, callipers put my body fat at 10-11%, but I'm sure that's understated. I got down to 8.7% March this year and was lean, but abs were still not visible. Incidentally, don't look up the wiki page for circumferential measuring at work - it has nearly naked ladies on it. :DOH:

I agree on getting a full blood panel done for cholesterol too. However, most don't go far enough. Most docs in England, at least, still use the Friedewald equation to estimate LDL. I went to a posh Harley Street doc and paid to get mine done privately, and even they used this method. It's reasonably accurate for a lot of cases, but if your triglycerides are very high or (like mine) very low then it renders the LDL estimate less accurate. Also, LDL particle size is very important in assessing risk for heart attacks. This is something else that can be guessed by looking at triglyceride and HDL levels, but if you want to be certain you'd have to pay good money to have it properly measured. Rule of thumb - if you don't ask, you won't get.

Cholesterol was something of a minor obsession of mine a couple of years ago and I studied it in some detail. I'm not medically qualified and I'm far from an expert, but if anyone wants me to elaborate on what I do know, shout - I'll be happy to share the bits I'm familiar with.

Stick it up in a new thread, it'll be good for everyone on the board to read the facts and not just go on hearsay.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:20 am