It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 pm  

Recovery methods? 
AuthorMessage
Minister of Propaganda

Post Recovery methods?
so yeah, that?

what do y'all use to shorten the necessary time for muscle recovery from massive soreness?

just started working out again (endurance stuff, doing the 100 push ups and 200 squats thingies, plus some pull ups, aiming for sets of 10), had to miss tai chi this morning because i couldn't walk.

diet is shit, and not fixable in the short-term (in fact, i've already taken what steps i could to make it better, with very mild success). sleep patterns suck balls, need to be fixed (maybe i should read that sleep hacks book after all...), foam rollers are not sold in this forking country (tennis ball is the usual substitute, right? i can get one of those, probably will in the following days).

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:10 pm
Profile YIM
Hawaiian Medic

Post Re: Recovery methods?
Cheeky Monkey wrote:
so yeah, that?

what do y'all use to shorten the necessary time for muscle recovery from massive soreness?

just started working out again (endurance stuff, doing the 100 push ups and 200 squats thingies, plus some pull ups, aiming for sets of 10), had to miss tai chi this morning because i couldn't walk.

diet is shit, and not fixable in the short-term (in fact, i've already taken what steps i could to make it better, with very mild success). sleep patterns suck balls, need to be fixed (maybe i should read that sleep hacks book after all...), foam rollers are not sold in this forking country (tennis ball is the usual substitute, right? i can get one of those, probably will in the following days).

Stretching. I sometimes use weights to get a deeper stretch. Another thing some people do is a small set of a light exercise for the affected muscles one day post workout. These usually help. There are supplements that help, but Id rather not spend money on them though they do work. Time will also make it hurt less. Drink a lot of water too. It helps maintain your body's pH.

Tai Chi and/or meditation can also help

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:27 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!! Also a hot bath can bring back some of the elasticity lost which can ease pain. Other than that Doc's spot on. Time is the key in recovery.

The answer to shorten recovery is to manage workout efforts more effectively. Ease up a little and you'll find that your recovery time is shorter and the pain less severe.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

for clarification: stretching immediately after the workout (ie a cooldown stretch), or while sore the day after?

i already usually ease slowly into a dead hang when sore from pullups, which makes me feel a lot better, so i'll try some quad stretching and a few squat reps and see what happens.

cheers!

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 pm
Profile YIM
Hawaiian Medic

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
for clarification: stretching immediately after the workout (ie a cooldown stretch), or while sore the day after?

i already usually ease slowly into a dead hang when sore from pullups, which makes me feel a lot better, so i'll try some quad stretching and a few squat reps and see what happens.

cheers!

Before and immediately post workout, and the next day. Stretching before the workout shoal be included in the warmup and stretching after should be incorporated into the cooldown. But a good rule of thumb is that if a muscle you were working hurts, stretch it. It helps "put the muscle in its place" in a matter of speaking, as well as increasing circulation to the area.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:11 pm
Minister of Propaganda

got it

off to stretch then :CAG:

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 pm
Profile YIM

Vicodin? why has nobody suggested Vicodin?

Naa, I'd never advocate any form of analgesia unless you had toothache!

What doc & Mikey say is good, the reasoning behind the "Train light the following day" theory is that you will cause an increase in the blood flow to the area, thus introducing more oxygen & nutrients to the damaged muscles, therefore speeding up the recovery process. Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is heavily influenced by the speed of the eccentric phase of the repetition (lowering the weight) as this is where the most damage to muscle fibres is done. Now, I'm not advocating speeding up the repetition, just don't hold it so long on the way down. Maybe a "phased return" style of training will suit you better, as you already stated, you diet is crap, I won't train AT ALL unless I've eaten properly for 2 days prior to training. If you are determined to stick to this regime, you MUST sort out your nutritional intake - period.

Exercise, resistance training especially, damages muscle fibres, everyone knows this. Muscle tissue is made up predominantly of proteins. In order to repair muscle tissue, an adequate supply of QUALITY protein must be consumed. Contrary to what anyone tells you, the best source of this quality protein is WHEY ISOLATE combined with branched chain amino acids (BCAA - leucine, isoluecine and valine) and l-glutamine (another amino acid). You will also need an antioxodant to clear up the free radicals which are released when the body is put under stress - in this case, exercise. Antioxidants are commonly found in vitamins C & E, co-enzyme Q10 & melatonin (there are others but there's enough big words for my limited brain here already). Adequate hydration levels will allow the transportation of all these nutrients in the blood.

Hope this helps!

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:35 am

My 2p worth is food and sleep.

I'd also point out that as this is a new routine for you, I guaran-fucking-tee you that if you keep doing this routine several time a week in two weeks time you could do the same routine and get hardly any soreness. Your body will always be massively sore after having done something it's not adapted to.

So yeah, time as well, but in a different way, if that makes sense.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:03 am
Minister of Propaganda

yeah, it doesn't help that i was supposed to start this shit two weeks ago but hurt my side training MA while not recovered from a pull-up set to failure, and then apathy took over and i did nothing for a full week and only MA training on the other one :p

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:30 am
Profile YIM

I try and do a yoga session on my off days. Also, I'm a great believer in hot baths.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:45 am
Profile   Personal Album