It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 pm  

Rest - your personal thoughts? 
AuthorMessage
The Guru of Guruness

Highscores: 6
Post Re: Rest - your personal thoughts?
Ego is a factor too, there's lots of guys who come up with sayings about training hard when in reality training at that level of exhaustion increases your risk of injury a shedload and the extra session ends up costing months off. Not worth the risk for the extra grams of muscle you might gain IMHO.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:50 pm
Profile Visit website

I'm a big fan of taking random naps. :aok:

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:52 pm
Profile Visit website
The Queen of Poo

I rest if I am sore somewhere. I figure pain = microtrauma, hence you should leave it heal before you make more microtrauma.

Well, sometimes I'm an impatient douche and insist on working out anyway, lol :)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:12 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Winnie's a punk wrote:

Well, sometimes I'm an impatient douche and insist on working out anyway, lol :)

I used to be the same way :)

I use the touch/flex method as my guide. If I'm sore to the touch, no deal. If I can't flex without pain, no deal. If I can flex hard and notice just a little tenderness... I'll workout but not push too hard.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:46 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

i do the same as Winnie's a punk, but only on specific exercises. ie nothing at all with weights, or with specific types of leverage. for example, i'll do pullups with sore arms+back, or squats (without weights) with sore legs+core, but you won't see me doing much ab work at all if my abs are sore

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:12 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Cheeky Monkey wrote:
i do the same as Winnie's a punk, but only on specific exercises. ie nothing at all with weights, or with specific types of leverage. for example, i'll do pullups with sore arms+back, or squats (without weights) with sore legs+core, but you won't see me doing much ab work at all if my abs are sore

Interesting. Why the different stance on abs?

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:38 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Hawaiian Medic

Many sources say that if it hurts, stop. Really it varies from person to person, and is dependent on the goal.

Makes no difference to me. Although I do train for different reasons than I used to. I train for function rather than a "look." I like to reach that limit where my body is telling me that it is going to quit, then I say f**k it, drive on (FIDO). If some POS is coming after me I won't stop because I am sore or tired. If I were training for size, I would do a lower impact exercise than normal for the muscle group in pain, this would be to increase blood flow to the area and promote healing through nutrients "piggybacking" with the enhanced blood flow. I will also massage the area a few hours PWO, also to promote healing... And it just feels good.

It is said that you have to watch out for "overtraining syndrome." But the human body is designed to adapt. As long as you don't tear or break something, you should be ok. If I can't eat enough though, I won't work as hard. Granted this thread is about rest when you are experiencing symptoms of muscle damage, but if I can't get the right nutrients, I will not be able to heal so I will limit myself.

But every few months I'll take maybe 7-10 days of not doing any training at all except for very light cardio. This is my version of rest.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:10 am
Minister of Propaganda

Bigmikey wrote:
Cheeky Monkey wrote:

Interesting. Why the different stance on abs?

because generally i work my abs by doing decline sit-ups and isometric holds, and i really do not fancy failure in those, whereas i'm very unlikely to get a muscle tear by doing BW squats or pushups which i can simply stop doing at any time. basically i'm unreasonably paranoid about tearing my ab muscles :p

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:49 am
Profile YIM