It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 pm  

Upper body planned overload routine wanted. 
AuthorMessage
The Guru of Guruness

Highscores: 6
Post Upper body planned overload routine wanted.
It seems I've got a tiny tear in my MCL so lower body work is out of the question. I'm also going to Egypt over Christmas so it's a good opportunity to hugely over work my lagging upper body, especially my arms and shoulders.

I need a 3 week plan of intense hypertrophy work to fit around my usual 3x strength sessions on Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and a weekend morning. Since it's only 3 weeks I'm not worried about rest days and will happily throw in morning work too.

During my normal training I have access to a powercage, bench, weight vest, dumbells, dipping belt, some kind of kinky head harness and an ab roller. At home I have a barbell, dumbells, ez curl bar, tricep bar, weight vest, a selection of grippers and a selection of bands (somewhere).

I'm eating plenty at the moment, low carb but high calorie but I'll be willing to strategically add carbs if necessary. My willpower is awesome so do your worst! :devilfire:

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 am
Profile Visit website
Minister of Propaganda

Post Re: Upper body planned overload routine wanted.
you will become johnny bravo!

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:58 am
Profile YIM
The Guru of Guruness

In lieu of other suggestions, I'm going over board with arm and shoulder work whenever possible which will probably affect my strength training and overtrain me nicely.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:07 pm
Profile Visit website

Which will work out just perfect with the Xmas refeed (yes, that's what Xmas is really for, folks :D).

I have no specific ideas for routines, as you know. But I'm happy to continue shouting abuse at you as you train so that you can squeeze every last rep out of that puny body of yours. :devilfire:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm
The Guru of Guruness

CosmicFish wrote:
Which will work out just perfect with the Xmas refeed (yes, that's what Xmas is really for, folks :D).

I have no specific ideas for routines, as you know. But I'm happy to continue shouting abuse at you as you train so that you can squeeze every last rep out of that puny body of yours. :devilfire:

Deal, I'll get a few extra reps in my workout and the shouting should double the work done for yours

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:23 am
Profile Visit website
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
coma wrote:
CosmicFish wrote:

Deal, I'll get a few extra reps in my workout and the shouting should double the work done for yours

I find shouting vigorously at training partners often replaces the need for ab work on those days.

If you're looking for an interesting approach to overload training why not employ a DC style workout?

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:17 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

Bigmikey wrote:
I find shouting vigorously at training partners often replaces the need for ab work on those days.

If you're looking for an interesting approach to overload training why not employ a DC style workout?

given the heat these days i reckon i prefer the AC

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

If anyone is interested I can post a complete DC workout I managed to get hold of...

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:59 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
If anyone is interested I can post a complete DC workout I managed to get hold of...

DC is an idea I have squirrelled away for the future. I'd be curious. New thread for it, maybe?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:17 pm
Site Admin

CosmicFish wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

DC is an idea I have squirrelled away for the future. I'd be curious. New thread for it, maybe?

Absolutely. I'll throw it up tonight. Its straight from the man himself so its written in some really terrible structure, but the info is pretty interesting.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:20 pm
Profile   Personal Album

coma wrote:
It seems I've got a tiny tear in my MCL so lower body work is out of the question. I'm also going to Egypt over Christmas so it's a good opportunity to hugely over work my lagging upper body, especially my arms and shoulders.

I need a 3 week plan of intense hypertrophy work to fit around my usual 3x strength sessions on Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and a weekend morning. Since it's only 3 weeks I'm not worried about rest days and will happily throw in morning work too.

During my normal training I have access to a powercage, bench, weight vest, dumbells, dipping belt, some kind of kinky head harness and an ab roller. At home I have a barbell, dumbells, ez curl bar, tricep bar, weight vest, a selection of grippers and a selection of bands (somewhere).

I'm eating plenty at the moment, low carb but high calorie but I'll be willing to strategically add carbs if necessary. My willpower is awesome so do your worst! :devilfire:

Dude, this worked for me last year during a cutting phase, I have plenty of time whether at work at home (3 on 3 off rotation).
Starting at 9 am, whether training or not, on the hour, every hour, 2 sets of 25 push ups on bars with feet on a chair. 2 sets to failure with black resistance bands the following exercises, no rest between, just a quick stretch; bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, lateral raises, forward raises, bent over raises and wide grip bent over rows (aimed at upper middle back/traps). It'll keep you pumped all day, jusy make sure your protein intake is sky high and aim for your weight (lbs) in grams of carbs after your main weight training session.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 pm
Site Admin

I read what you have access too again and I would say just bust out

Flat bench
Dips w weighted vest
Military presses or push presses
pullups w/weighted vest
bent over rows
Upright rows

If THAT doesnt pack some size on your upper body, I got nothin, lol...

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm
Profile   Personal Album
The Guru of Guruness

Bigmikey wrote:
I read what you have access too again and I would say just bust out

Flat bench
Dips w weighted vest
Military presses or push presses
pullups w/weighted vest
bent over rows
Upright rows

If THAT doesnt pack some size on your upper body, I got nothin, lol...

I wouldn't normally disagree but...

These are all in my training already. I'm dipping at bodyweight plus 30kg, I can happily perform 5x5 pullups with 30kg too. I'm currently at 210lbs and not much in the way of fat though I'm not lean either right now.

The problem with these lovely compound movements is that I have a tendency to rely on my back and chest. at the moment I have a 46" chest, 15 3/4" arms and a 36" waist. What I have been enjoying recently are BigMikeys hammer curls across the chest. Since it moves across the body it seems to isolate the arms and prevent support from my larger muscle groups.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:33 pm
Profile Visit website
Minister of Propaganda

coma wrote:
The problem with these lovely compound movements is that I have a tendency to rely on my back and chest. at the moment I have a 46" chest, 15 3/4" arms and a 36" waist. What I have been enjoying recently are BigMikeys hammer curls across the chest. Since it moves across the body it seems to isolate the arms and prevent support from my larger muscle groups.

i sent you pavel's naked warrior, right? don't remember if it has the posture for power breathing too (which involves straightening the spine and is the same posture used in goju-ryu for sanchin practice), but i've found it excellent for really anchoring the torso and isolating the arms for all the exercises where i compensate by twisting or bending the upper body.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 pm
Profile YIM