It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 pm  

Workout frequency vs intensity... 
AuthorMessage
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post Workout frequency vs intensity...
Ok, curiosity has me at the moment so I thought i'd toss this out there.

According to Mentzer it could take as long as 7 days to fully recover from a single workout. I've pondered the meaning of that belief and tried to understand how that can be applied to or how it might affect, my workouts.

I think in order for that to be realistic the level of intensity during a workout would need to be great so that the level of muscular breakdown post workout would almost be considered severe. Can that be healthy though? Too much breakdown can lead to Rhabdomyolysis which in the long term is less than desirable.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5101692_exerc ... lysis.html

But for the sake of argument lets take that off the table. Can a single workout per week, wherein DOMS lasts for at least 3 or 4 days post exercise allowing another 2-3 days to replenish the body be enough to bring about muscular development?

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

Post Re: Workout frequency vs intensity...
actual recovery+strengthening efficiency aside, one super intense workout per week means that you're wasted for seven days, which has massive disadvantages for pretty much everything else until you recover... but then you work out again.

seems pretty clear to me :p

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:17 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
actual recovery+strengthening efficiency aside, one super intense workout per week means that you're wasted for seven days, which has massive disadvantages for pretty much everything else until you recover... but then you work out again.

seems pretty clear to me :p

thats my initial reaction as well, FOD, but mentzer put so much effort into researching it and touting its effectiveness... just makes me wonder, ya know? Thanks for the response :)

Although, if you think about it, in traditional lifting splits the chest, for example, is only hit once a week anyway... in fact, in most typical splits the body in its entirity is only completed once each week so, given that, perhaps its not so far fetched? Not arguing, just thinking outloud via my keyboard...

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

well, most movements the body does are compound, so even if you only have one or two body parts sore at any given moment, that is still at least one range of motion and lifting capacity that is compromised for your everyday life. if all you do is lift, and/or have massive recovery capacity due to a rest/diet/mutant powers/whatever, then yes, but i train kung fu at least 6 hours a week, sometimes even up to 14 or so hours between northern shaolin and tai chi (when i go from monday to saturday), plus karate training at home all the forking time, and i'm the go-to guy when heavy lifting is needed at home. and that's only because i don't currently have a job, which would take up more time i could be using to rest, and might even require me to move stuff, and you can probably see where i'm going with this. hell, i pulled my lats once by training at home the day after doing pullups (the culprit was a very enthusiastic knife hand), and it pretty much disabled me for a week and a half.

"When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment."

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
well, most movements the body does are compound, so even if you only have one or two body parts sore at any given moment, that is still at least one range of motion and lifting capacity that is compromised for your everyday life. if all you do is lift, and/or have massive recovery capacity due to a rest/diet/mutant powers/whatever, then yes, but i train kung fu at least 6 hours a week, sometimes even up to 14 or so hours between northern shaolin and tai chi (when i go from monday to saturday), plus karate training at home all the forking time, and i'm the go-to guy when heavy lifting is needed at home. and that's only because i don't currently have a job, which would take up more time i could be using to rest, and might even require me to move stuff, and you can probably see where i'm going with this. hell, i pulled my lats once by training at home the day after doing pullups (the culprit was a very enthusiastic knife hand), and it pretty much disabled me for a week and a half.

This is why I like ya! :aok:

I think you bring up valid points, for someone with the training demands you seem to have I can see how that level of soreness would be plain awful.

for someone who only lifts as you said or perhaps, to make it interesting, only practices something else twice a week... not including their mutant powers (LOL, btw!), could it be done?

As an ex-body builder I've spent nearly 20 years dealing with sore muscles. I remember three days after leg workouts still not being able to go up stairs without leaning heavily on the railing and gnashing my teeth because of the pain. You learn to deal.

for the record I'm very inclined to agree with you but for the sake of conversation lets see where this goes. Given the above criteria, is it feasible at all?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

feasible, probably yes if you manage your recovery well. i'm just saying it might not be practical, all things considered :p.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
feasible, probably yes if you manage your recovery well. i'm just saying it might not be practical, all things considered :p.

Agreed. Practicality is what probably keeps it from working. another example of where theory and reality part ways I suppose. Thanks Homie! :)

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:43 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Minister of Propaganda

:lalala: :dblrock: :lalala: :dblrock: :lalala:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm
Profile YIM

Just one serious workout I can see the concept but you would have to workout at least 5 or 6 hours to equal what you would do in a normal week. I know about rest and how it effects growth and strength but I would think you will be walking a fine line of injury putting that much effort in a workout in one day.

Also a work out routine is suppose to work a muscle group or groups, you take a day off then hit a different group. I think we all know that no matter what you work other muscles come into play to a degree but a lot less so then the muscle you are working. From what I have learned, great forum helps you isolate the muscle you are working so you other muscles are not used being they really don't get a workout. So in all reality, you are only working one muscle group a week in theory right?

In Life I Fail and Fail again that;s why I Succeed.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I can see how 1 serious training session every 7 days could be beneficial for muscle developement but I don't see how it could yield opptimun results for "the body" as a whole. Conditioning would seem suffer without other activities. That being said I did know a black dude that only trained once a week. He did a total body routine that lasted a couple hours and he was very muscular and RIPPED! He was also a genetic freak....much like M.M..

I personally hate those guys but I digress......

I believe it all depends on the individual and must stress that if I have learned anything I have learned that every "body" is different and each needs to find what works for them. We can borrow ideas from others and experiment but in the end what works best for me will most likely not be the ticket for anyone else. Our genetics stamps are all unique, we are all currently at different stages of developement and we all have different goals. In short we are all just as different as we are alike and we must find our own "best path" to our personal best.

Once a week, effective or not, would leave me feeling like a pile a mush. The mental sense of satisfaction would not be satisfied in this overly stubborn soul.

1 on 2 off (and sometime even 3 off) seems to be the ticket at this stage of the game for this old beaten body. Then again I think I push harder than most which is a whole new debate.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm doing one on one off so every other day I do a workout. I have never done a one on 2 or 3 off though I might try that latter on. I just know for me anything less then 3 or 4 times a week in the gym I don't see change. Plus with all the high reps I get more vascular than if I did it any less.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 am
Site Admin

Rajincajun wrote:
I'm doing one on one off so every other day I do a workout. I have never done a one on 2 or 3 off though I might try that latter on. I just know for me anything less then 3 or 4 times a week in the gym I don't see change. Plus with all the high reps I get more vascular than if I did it any less.

You're kicking out high reps? Dude, I'd really like to see a log if you can manage it on here. I think it'd help a few folks and I could keep track of your progress. Hows it going?

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 pm
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
Rajincajun wrote:

You're kicking out high reps? Dude, I'd really like to see a log if you can manage it on here. I think it'd help a few folks and I could keep track of your progress. Hows it going?

I can do a log I think. It's going good, I still haven't done any back work yet. If that doesn't tell you how scared I am still to this day. As for everything else I'm moving along. Reps are going up but more so is I'm not getting as fatigued as I was so i'm now up to 3 different moments per muscle to failure or 6 to 8 reps and I'm not burnt out. By this time next month I should be about 90% back to what I was doing before my injury.

One thing I have noticed is when doing shoulder press the side that got hurt the nerve that runs though my shoulder down my arm is hurting in the shoulder cup when I do this one movement which is the movement I move the most amount of weight for the shoulders. It's kind of weird, if I add weight it seems to not hurt as much but lighter weight it hurts and I don't do many reps. I have no soreness in the shoulder and it feels fine other wise.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:13 pm
Site Admin

Rajincajun wrote:
One thing I have noticed is when doing shoulder press the side that got hurt the nerve that runs though my shoulder down my arm is hurting in the shoulder cup when I do this one movement which is the movement I move the most amount of weight for the shoulders. It's kind of weird, if I add weight it seems to not hurt as much but lighter weight it hurts and I don't do many reps. I have no soreness in the shoulder and it feels fine other wise.

I know we can find a way to work around that... so that we can still challenge your shoulders but limit the painful sensations...

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm
Profile   Personal Album