It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 am  

Appetizer: Marrow and Carmelized Onion 
AuthorMessage
Founder

Post Appetizer: Marrow and Carmelized Onion
As per Mikey's request.....

Before you go and say this sounds like it will make me puke, just give it a read. I love trying new things and I have eaten a LOT of things that would make some people gag....like pig intestines...

anyway, this is a lot tamer.

what you will need:

Beef marrow bones - I usually like them no bigger than 2 to three inches in length. Makes it a lot easier to get the marrow out later.
Salt and pepper
Red onion
toasted pumpernikle bread

First lets make the carmelized onions. this can take a while.

slice the onions so they are half moons and separated. preheat a large frying pan to medium high heat. use 3 tablespoons butter and about a tablespoon of olive oil. when the butter is melted place the onions in the pan. get the onions coated with the oil and butter. salt the onions, this will help pull out the water in the onions.

make sure to lightly brown the onions on both sides. do not let them burn. turn the heat down to medium and cover. keep an eye on them and make sure they darken. you really want these to be loose and soft. they will darken quite a bit which is what you want. salt and pepper to taste.

Now this is optional and I DON'T do this but if you want to bring the sweetness out in the onion you can use a little bit of balsamic vinegar. It does taste good but i like the way the onions taste without it.

Preheat the oven to 350.
lightly salt and pepper the marrow bones on the flat sides
cover a cookie sheet with tin foil and put a light coating of olive oil to prevent sticking
place the bones flat side down on the cookie sheet
cook for approx 15 minutes. You will be able to tell when they are done when the marrow is real soft. you can stick a toothpick into it and feel how soft it is. you will also see a lot of fat on the cookie sheet.

To eat:

Using a small knife take out the marrow. it won't take much effort as it should pretty much slide out. put some on the toasted pumpernikle bread as if you were buttering it. Place some of the carmelized onions on top and enjoy! this is one of my alltime favorite Appetizer. I learned it from one of the restaurants i went to while living in NYC. Rather than paying 18$ for it, i spent 5$ and a little bit of time to make my own.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:29 am
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post Re: Appetizer: Marrow and Carmelized Onion
This is no lie, every time I read that I drool a little bit...

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:39 am
Profile   Personal Album