It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 pm  

Deep Fried Turkey 
AuthorMessage
Founder

Post Deep Fried Turkey
If you haven't had one, you are missing out! When done correctly these turkeys will be the best you've had. I just made two of them a couple of weeks ago for a party at my parents house. 26lbs of turkey gone in about 30 minutes.

I start by brining mine about 3 or 4 days ahead of time. I tend to stick with about 3/4 cup salt to 1 gallon of water. Considering i'm leaving it in there for that length of time i don't want to over do it. (i may also cut the salt more if i use a high acid fruit). I will boil the water and salt and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Put ice into the mixture until cooled.

here is where i season it.

Lemons
Oranges
onion
crushed garlic - a whole bulb of it
italian seasonings (fresh if you can get it)
honey

Cut the lemons and Oranges into wedges and squezze the juice from them into the bucket. Put the squezzed rines in.

cut the onions into wedges and separate the layers. they don't have to be single layers. just enough to spread the flavor around.

crush the garlic up and toss it in.

cut up the italian seasonings if fresh, or use your hands and rub the dry seasonings into the bucket. use as much honey as you want, or even molases. taste the brine to see if it suits you. Remember that the taste of the brine is not exactly what your turkey is going to taste like. Call it a "hint" of flavor.

put the turkey in so the tail is up and make sure it's covered with the brine. Put a lid on the bucket or just use plastic wrap and tine foil. Regfridgerate it until Fry-Day.

I used a garlic butter injection in my last turkey, and let me tell you...i won't make another one without it. i got so many compliments oh how this thing came out that i'm ready to patent this shit.

Garlic butter:

3 sticks unsalted butter softenend to room temp
3/4 bulb of garlic

I used a mortar and pestle to crush my garlic. this will release the juices and is easier to introduce the butter. of course if you have a Cuisinart, feel free to use that too. I tend to do it the old fashioned way. fold the garlic into the butter until well mixed. This is a lot of butter but I kept it for Garlic Bread wtih Parm Cheese. You're welcome.

On Fry-Day, take the turkey out of the brine and put it on a rack over a deep pan for aboiut 2 hours. Cover it with plastic wrap (not tightly) to keep the little critters away. this will let the turkey drain, obviously. If you decide to use the garlic butter injection, this is the time to do it.

Get a poultry injector and fill it with the garlic butter ( i thought this might be self explanatory but some people are idiots) I start with the turkey facing me upside down. i inject it about 4 to 5 times in each breast spaced out evenly. make sure you keep the plunger going when pulling the pin out to keep the flavor even.

Then i will do the legs and thighs. I will hit them about 3 times depending on the size of the bird. Now feel free to add more if you want. just keep it even and don't over do it.

I'm not going to go over the mechanics of measuring the oil prior to heating it for the size of different birds. You can look that up or PM me.

Heat the oil up to about 350 and make sure it's a constant heat. some people will blast the oil with high heat and then back down when it gets to 350. of course the oil gets a shit load hotter and takes forever to cool. go slow, stupid.

Once the turkey gets submerged in the fry pot, cover it with the lid and watch magic happen. let it go for 3 to 3.5 minutes per lb. I tend to stick wtih about 3min per lb for the turkeys that are less than 20lbs.

once the time is up, take it out and let it sit on a rack for about 15 minutes before carving. You want the juices to flow back out from the center and not spill out and dry this little beast.

**as an added flavor, feel free to use a cajun dry rub on the skin prior to frying. I swear you will not be pissed.**

Thank me when complete.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:58 pm
Site Admin

Highscores: 9
Post Re: Deep Fried Turkey
Hawk always has the recipe hookups! I should have asked YOU about cookin my turkey legs the other night :bang: :blonde:

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:16 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Founder

MMMMM, turkey legs. I have a tower smoker that will be cooking my turkey legs maybe this weekend. :D

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:25 am
Forum Moderator

Thank you Hawk! Maybe i will make the turkey this year.....or i will just print this out and make someone else do it :)

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 am
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

Highscores: 1
Chi Chi, have I told you lately that I :heart: you? :flex:

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
i have recently become two hamburgers

"Guns!"

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 am
Profile Visit website
Forum Moderator

Squishy Britches wrote:
Chi Chi, have I told you lately that I :heart: you? :flex:

Its been awhile canadian, been awhile.... :heart:

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:05 am
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

[quote="Chi-Chi]Its been awhile canadian, been awhile.... :heart:[/quote]

I shall endeavor in the future to ensure that this does not become an issue! :D

Cheeky Monkey wrote:

"Guns!"

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am
Profile Visit website
Forum Moderator

Squishy Britches wrote:
[quote="Chi-Chi]Its been awhile canadian, been awhile.... :heart:[/quote]

I shall endeavor in the future to ensure that this does not become an issue! :D[/quote]

Much appreciated :)
:smooch:

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 am
Profile   Personal Album
Site Admin

Hawk200 wrote:
MMMMM, turkey legs. I have a tower smoker that will be cooking my turkey legs maybe this weekend. :D

THATS IT! If I ever become rich I'm just gonna hire you to be my workout partner/guy food chef. Done and done!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:06 am
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

Bigmikey wrote:
THATS IT! If I ever become rich I'm just gonna hire you to be my workout partner/guy food chef. Done and done!

Can I apply for the job of small wiry annoying bugger who follows you around everywhere and constantly reminds you/others just how awesome you are?

Cheeky Monkey wrote:

"Guns!"

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:41 am
Profile Visit website
Founder

Bigmikey wrote:
Hawk200 wrote:

consider that position filled! :D

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:51 am
Site Admin

Hawk200 wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

dude, you have so many cool recipes you should post some when you have time.... like that marrow recipe for starters!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 am
Profile   Personal Album
Founder

Bigmikey wrote:
Hawk200 wrote:

dude, you have so many cool recipes you should post some when you have time.... like that marrow recipe for starters!!!

you got it! i will post that up soon.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:20 am