It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:58 am  

Walked away... 
AuthorMessage
Site Admin

Post Re: Walked away...
I am a Banana wrote:
Not very well up on Irish consumer rights/laws, let alone American ones... But...

Over here, the laws regarding refunds basically come down to "is the product faulty?" and "is the product fit for the purpose it was sold for?"

If I buy a garment in a shop without trying it on, take it home and find out it doesn't fit... the shop is under NO obigation to refund me. They MAY choose to exchange for another item but it's tough shit if they don't.

If you buy a dvd player, take it home and it doesn't do what it's s'posed to, you're entitled to a full refund. If the shop says "we only give credit notes to the same value...", it's against Irish consumer rights to be "co-erced" into taking the note. A full refund is legally obligatory.

Now. America... You guys take each other to court over being looked at funny, so I don't see why a competent lawyer won't be able to get your money back for you...minus his/her cut ;)

Best of luck man!

This is a little different than buying goods as its a service I'm paying for. For example. Lets say I hire someone to mow my lawn and they charge $25 a mow. I pay them in advance for the summer but midway through realize its not working as they are never on time, etc. If I cancel their services I'm entitled to whatever monies they have not provided work for unless their contract EXPLICITLY STATES that there are no refunds under any circumstances... in which case my lawyer will just have to work harder, lol.

Listen here sonny, there aint no disaster.
There aint no shame in bein' beaten by a master!
~ Johnny Lang - Rack 'em up

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 am
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
I am a Banana wrote:
Not very well up on Irish consumer rights/laws, let alone American ones... But...

Over here, the laws regarding refunds basically come down to "is the product faulty?" and "is the product fit for the purpose it was sold for?"

If I buy a garment in a shop without trying it on, take it home and find out it doesn't fit... the shop is under NO obigation to refund me. They MAY choose to exchange for another item but it's tough shit if they don't.

If you buy a dvd player, take it home and it doesn't do what it's s'posed to, you're entitled to a full refund. If the shop says "we only give credit notes to the same value...", it's against Irish consumer rights to be "co-erced" into taking the note. A full refund is legally obligatory.

Now. America... You guys take each other to court over being looked at funny, so I don't see why a competent lawyer won't be able to get your money back for you...minus his/her cut ;)

Best of luck man!

This is a little different than buying goods as its a service I'm paying for. For example. Lets say I hire someone to mow my lawn and they charge $25 a mow. I pay them in advance for the summer but midway through realize its not working as they are never on time, etc. If I cancel their services I'm entitled to whatever monies they have not provided work for unless their contract EXPLICITLY STATES that there are no refunds under any circumstances... in which case my lawyer will just have to work harder, lol.

So they're holding on to your inheritence monies? Feels like Rambo (the first one).

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:49 am
Site Admin

BobParr wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

So they're holding on to your inheritence monies? Feels like Rambo (the first one).

LOL, well, I guess you could look at it that way. Covey leader to raven....

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 am
Profile   Personal Album

Bigmikey wrote:
BobParr wrote:

It's time for the headband... ;)

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:33 am
Site Admin

BobParr wrote:
Bigmikey wrote:

It's time for the headband... ;)

DAY drew first blood, not me!

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:37 am
Profile   Personal Album

They'll soon learn the error of their ways...

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 am

Mikey, maybe they were right. Maybe . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RCpXMiLTA

:evillaff:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:18 am
Site Admin

That cracked me up !! :D

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:20 am
Profile   Personal Album

LOL @ "You Rack Disiprine!" Well, if I were in your shoes, Mikey, at least that'd give me a reason to laugh in their smarmy grinning faces the next time they tried to use THAT one on me.

I'd be like "Can you say that again?...Bbwwaaahhhahaahahahaaaa!!...No, no, really, just one more time, please?...Bwwaaahhhahahaaaa!!!!" Of course, I'd probably wait to do that until AFTER I got my refund...

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am
Site Admin

I think Chuck Norris should be notified. If the lawyer fails then Chuck is your only hope.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Sexypants McGee wrote:
I think Chuck Norris should be notified. If the lawyer fails then Chuck is your only hope.

Chuck does have a good track record negotiating hostile Asian territories...

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Mistress of the Paddle

Bigmikey wrote:
For a while now I've struggled with getting to TKD and HKD simply because of the class times. Since Jen went back to work I have to pick Lexi up after cheerleadind practice and that makes getting to class impossible. Still, I did the best I could, namely practicing my form in the basement at all hours of the night when I could find time. Often I'd be there at 10:30 practicing after a full day starting at 4:30 am.

Yesterday in class we spent the first 20+ minutes of TKD listening to how bad we are as I stated in another post. Well, that really stuck in my craw for some reason so today I get in there and quit. I didn't think it would be a big deal but they made it one. The lady in the office started challenging my descipline just like they did in the speech yesterday, she started questioning my honor and thats when I lost it. I asked for my money back as I prepaid for two years and she simply smiled and said we dont give refunds.

I'm livid.

I lend you my LARGE paddle for your future dealings with these Poo Poo Heads................... :anna2:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:44 pm
Profile   Personal Album
The Queen of Poo

That is a disgusting way to treat someone. Sorry to hear this.

Good luck with the legal dealings. *hugs*

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:00 pm
Site Admin

Forgot I posted this, lol!

The resolution we came to was a good one I think. I went to talk to the head instructor and owner. We talked for roughly an hour or more. The end result was I got an apology from his wife, and discovered that there was a back story to all that went on which, it turns out, I could completely agree with. The catalyst behind the whole lecture we received were two green belts and a few brown belts who do nothing but fork around. To the point of complete distraction for the rest of the class.

I've since dropped out of TKD and now only participate in HKD. I feel MUCH better....

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:34 pm
Profile   Personal Album
Global Moderator

Glad it all worked out! :)

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm
Profile   Personal Album